How do I delete a download?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sissco, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Sissco macrumors newbie

I was searching for unreleased Rod Stewart/Faces Material and I came accross a site which allows me to download such Live unreleased Material. I started to download it and less than 1 minute into the download I decided to change my mind because I though about the possibility of someone sending a virus to my Basic Applemac. After all why give away unreleased material for free? So I'm asking you all, could someone please tell me how to delete 8.8 megabites of Downloaded material straight to the bin and totally delete it from my Laptop? At the moment my Downloads are down at the bottom of the right handside of the screen.

PLease help me keep my Laptop safe!

Sissco

2. Sissco thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done it, I clicked it and draged it into the Bin, NOw just one more thing - there's a wee "Empty" area in the top right hand of the trash and for some reason in the trash i've also got a "Recovered files" folder. I don't even know what's in it and I've no idea how anything got there as I haven't deleted anything yet. would it be a bad thing if I lost the "Recovered files" folder? Would it be lost if I clicked on the "Empty" icon on the top right hand corner of the trash?

Please help

Sissco

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Don't worry about the recovered files folder. Some apps will dump things in your trash as well. Those are just from programs that have crashed and had a backup ready then deleted the unnecessary files later. Microsoft Office is known for that.

And yes, if you empty the trash bin, it will become empty.

4. Sissco thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to be a wee snot but it's 100% safe to empty the whole lot from my trash? I don't wanna break my Mac Laptop like I brokw my Dell windows laptop.

Sorry I just want a 100% yes from you :)

Sissco

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, 100%. When an app places files there on its own, it's because they aren't needed by the application anymore. Now, if you threw something in there, then it'd be up to you if it's OK to empty it.