how do I delete a locked folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littlewaywelt, Jan 3, 2008.

1. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I've never locked any of my folders (at least intentionally) on pc or mac, yet somehow after my data transfer, one of the folders seems to be locked. I can't throw anything in it away. Anytime I try to drag something to the trash a popup comes up requesting a password. I enter my standard pw but it doesn't seem to delete.

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Open a Terminal window. (from Applications, utilities)

in the terminal, type chmod 755

then drag the problem folder from the Finder to the Terminal window. the terminal command should now include the path to the folder. Hit return. then try to delete your folder.

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

can you get info (right click, get info OR command+i) and uncheck the box that says lock.

are you a system administrator, since my admin account has no problem deleting locked folders.

4. MurphyM macrumors 6502

notsofatjames - I am guessing the folder is not locked as you suspect, since the user us being prompted for a password. That's why I suggested changing the permissions....

5. ottomated macrumors newbie

rename the file to delete
    make a text file save it as delete

over write the new text file over the file you want to delete.
    becuase you have just created a text file named delete, and the locked file is delete, the text file should save itself over.

drag the "delete" file into the trash. done

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i get prompted for a password when deleting a folder thats got locked in the Get Info screen. I was just trying to save the OP some terminal usage. Terminal can be scary.

7. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Really? Are you signed in as a non-admin? I don't get prompted for a password when I delete a locked folder. but I'm logged in as an admin.

And yes, Terminal can be scary. I have a warning in many of my screencasts telling people they can wipe out files in Terminal.

8. littlewaywelt thread starter macrumors regular

total newbie error. very weird to be going from a power user to a newb...

I didn't have my mouse configured for right clicking. After right clicking I was able to bring up a box and uncheck the locked icon, so I could delete it. Thanks very much for the help!