How do I delete an application for good?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stephs, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Stephs macrumors newbie

Stephs

Hi. I am a fool :eek: who downloaded a program that changes quicktime into media player (trying to watch CNN live-- not possible) anyways, how can i get rid of this program forever and throughly and get my quicktime back? Normally I just drag crap to the trash. IS that really it?

THanks all!

Stephanie

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

check if your quicktime is still in your Applications folder (Shift-Command-A). if it isn't, you can download the latest version of quicktime from Apple (find it on Apple's website)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You can download appzapper and fully delete all files, even the ones you can't see within the applications folder. From there reinstall QuickTime.

4. Stephs thread starter macrumors newbie

Stephs

I still have quicktime, but as soon as I open it quicktime switches to media player- yuck. i dont see the application I even downloaded anywhere.

... here it is flip for mac -- can i just drag that to the trash?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flip4Mac is a good app... allows you to play .wmv files on quicktime. It's in your Utilities folder.

6. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

This is a free app that will automatically delete the whole program, any program.

Appdelete

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

By the sound of it, you still have some files left over from the original app. hanging about somewhere on your HD! Try typing the app's name into Spotlight and delete any files that are revealed.

8. czardonic macrumors member

Still playing around with what will and will not work with Leopard, but back in Panther, I remember having good luck with deleting Flip4Mac and designating .wmv files to open with VLC. Can't remember what the particular issue was, but that resolved it.

Of course, you've probably tried getting file info (Cmnd + I) and designating the preferred app you wished to "Open with:", and then, just beneath that where you're offered the option to "Use this application to open all documents like this", selected "Change All…"

9. czardonic macrumors member

Though inexpensive, it's no longer free.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

11. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Appzapper, Appdelete, Appclean, and similar, often fail to find all relevant files. (Believe me, I've done extensive testing!)

The best way is to use Spotlight, or, even better, EasyFind, which can search for invisible files and wildcards, too