Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Ok, this may sound stupid, but in iOS 6 there was a trash icon on the bottom of every opened email. In iOS7, I don't see that icon.

I want to be able to delete the email that I am currently viewing. Yes, I know that I can do it from the email list view, but that's not what I want.

Please tell me I don't have to click the "folder" icon at the bottom and then click on the trash can. Because if that's the case, then it sucks! More concentration involved and now you have to aim very carefully at the 'Trash' choice.

With iOS6, it was as simple as pressing the bottom trash icon and hitting a big delete button. Two buttons that I probably used most often while checking my email.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok, this may sound stupid, but in iOS 6 there was a trash icon on the bottom of every opened email. In iOS7, I don't see that icon.

I want to be able to delete the email that I am currently viewing. Yes, I know that I can do it from the email list view, but that's not what I want.

Please tell me I don't have to click the "folder" icon at the bottom and then click on the trash can. Because if that's the case, then it sucks! More concentration involved and now you have to aim very carefully at the 'Trash' choice.

With iOS6, it was as simple as pressing the bottom trash icon and hitting a big delete button. Two buttons that I probably used most often while checking my email.

I have a trash button when viewing an email...

Are you using Gmail? Do you have it set to Archive or Delete? You can find out by going to Settings, Mail, Click the Account, click the account again (should show your full email address), then click Advanced at the bottom. There you will see if you have it set as Delete or Archive. Make sure it's on delete.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Should be the center button in the toolbar at the bottom. Could you post a screenshot of your mail screen?

Also, from the email list, you can also swipe from right to left to bring up the Delete or Archive button.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You can also swipe from right to left to bring up the Delete or Archive button.

If you see what he's asking - he know you can do this in list view. His issue is he wants to delete the email while viewing the individual email, without having to go to list view.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I have a trash button when viewing an email...

Are you using Gmail? Do you have it set to Archive or Delete? You can find out by going to Settings, Mail, Click the Account, click the account again (should show your full email address), then click Advanced at the bottom. There you will see if you have it set as Delete or Archive. Make sure it's on delete.

Wow, thanks! It was set to archive! Now I see a trash can!

I can't believe it wasn't set this way by default when I upgraded from iOS 6 to 7. I had the trash icon in all my emails in iOS 6.

Now I have to go through every account and change this.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Wow, thanks! It was set to archive! Now I see a trash can!

I can't believe it wasn't set this way by default when I upgraded from iOS 6 to 7. I had the trash icon in all my emails in iOS 6.

The behavior is strange, that's for sure..Glad that resolved it, though!

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
If you tap and hold on the archive/delete button, a little menu should pop up allowing you to choose between both options.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
If you tap and hold on the archive/delete button, a little menu should pop up allowing you to choose between both options.

This does not happen. Just tried it. The only options are:

- Trash Message (in red)
- Cancel

Swipe left instead of swiping right.

This does not work. And I think you misread my post.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
For Gmail, as you know by now, it's either Trash or Archive.
If your settings are on "Archive", then you should see a (sort of) card-box instead of a trashcan at the bottom. Otherwise, you should see the trashcan.

I don't know if the "press-and-hold-to-switch" option is still available from the Mail app. I know I haven't managed to make it work in iOS7 (although, I must admit that I haven't tried it for more than a few minutes).

Not all type of account have an "Archive" option. In fact, most don't and just have a regular trash can behavior. For me, only Gmail has an Archive option that can be set.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Hmmm, I had to change it for my Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and iCloud email accounts. All were set to 'archive' by default.:confused:

Nonetheless, thanks for the help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.