How do I delete duplicate emails in Mail?

Edney23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Hello,

Could some one please tell me how to delete duplicate emails in Mac Mail?

I am using Leopard 10.5.8, and Mail 3.6.

Thank you

Alex

Edney23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks, but I have over 5000 to delete. I don't particularly want to go through them manually. Any ideas?

Sorkvild

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2007
I think the closest you will be able to get is creating specific search criteria so that only those duplicates show up in the result and then you can select them all and delete them. Who knows though, tweaking the search to include every single one could very well take longer than just going through them all.

dburges

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2004
One trick I used when facing this problem was to download and install Mozilla Thunderbird and set it up to check the same account via IMAP. This requires that you move all the messages to the server via IMAP, which can take some time (27,000 messages in my case). Then you can install a plug-in into Thunderbird that automatically locates and eliminates duplicates.

Once everything is cleaned up you can use whatever IMAP capable program you want to manage your mail. Just make sure you use the option to sync messages between the server and client so you can access your mail offline.

Edney23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
These are great. thank you very much.

Caused by tech support funnily enough. Not sure what they did, they don't know how to fix macs.