Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberbeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
how can I clear the saved data from the ipad? I see no option to clear data. I've read people say that the
best way is to delete the app and reinstall it. If I do that will the password be forgotten? Or can I simply reinstall the app

Last edited:

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
If I do that will the password be forgotten?
Yes, when you delete any given app all information associated with it is gone (this is probably one of the best benefits from the sandboxing schema on iOS).

You can of course jailbreak and easily delete all with iFile without the need for reinstall (e.g you are on the go and cannot download the app again for the time being but need to delete the data asap).

miinike

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
curious when reading the response,, I'm wondering, if there is a virus that comes through facebook, how does one deal with that? if I did a delete of the APP, will that help? My apologies if I'm hijacking the thread. :)

miig.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
curious when reading the response,, I'm wondering, if there is a virus that comes through facebook, how does one deal with that? if I did a delete of the APP, will that help? My apologies if I'm hijacking the thread. :)

miig.

There are no viruses for iOS. If it's phishing, I'm assuming just change your password and you should be ok.

miinike

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
thanks for the reply. also, before I log off, is there such a thing as "Restore" for the ipad mini? :)

miig.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
thanks for the reply. also, before I log off, is there such a thing as "Restore" for the ipad mini? :)

miig.

I'm not sure what you meant by that, there is a thing as Restore for all iOS devices. It's built into the OS, not the device itself.

To expand more on the viri topic, if the app uses a component such as Webkit (the browser backend that all apps have to use -in fact, it's the main reason Firefox for instance never cared to appear anymore on iOS since it cannot use it's engine, but Apple's one, making it a Safari copy&paste so to speak-), I guess there could be an exploit to make accessible content such as Contacts and Photos (for which you give permission to access now, but it's very highly you have done in an app such as Facebook), vulnerable to the attack.
I'm not sure if an app like Facebook currently allows for users to browse other websites (or for that matter, if it's a "real" app or just the mobile site embedded into an app), or if you could allow for malicious "facebook apps" to take advantage of an exploit, but in any case, apart from whatever you allowed it to access (Contacts, Photos, GPS), it cannot do any more damage, "thanks" to the sandboxing schema.
Not the same thing happens with a desktop OS (but we can make an exception for MAS apps, and their sandboxing schema, aka, ML's Gatekeeper), where most times an app has access to it all (entire filesystem).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.