Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmc1818

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I am somewhat new to os x, and want to know how to get rid of a program and all its files. On windows i know how, but on a mac what is the best way. I want to get rid of a program and make sure it hasnt left any unneeded programs on my macbook pro.

Thanks

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Get a program called AppZapper. It removes all the little system files associated with the application as well. Great piece of software.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Depending on the app, you should be able to simply drag it to the Trash, along with some of its associated files (do a search on your machine with Find or Spotlight for other files) and empty the Trash. :)

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Does anyone else think that the complete lack of native uninstalling utitlity in OS X is rather strange and a huge oversight on Apple's part?! Do they simply want you to keep every program you ever install? Even Windows has a Uninstaller.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
FleurDuMal said:
Does anyone else think that the complete lack of native uninstalling utitlity in OS X is rather strange and a huge oversight on Apple's part?! Do they simply want you to keep every program you ever install? Even Windows has a Uninstaller.

In the vast majority of cases, you just drag the app to the Trash. Complex apps that scatter files around the system typically include uninstallers.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
FleurDuMal said:

I actually don't think it's an oversight at all. Apple prefers that programs be self-contained packages, and thus easily uninstalled by dragging to the trash. Windows Uninstaller is horrid, it often doesn't list all of the programs I have installed, and can't remove all of the associated files anyways. I much prefer Apple's approach.

When I delete programs I almost always keep the associated preference files that are included, that way if I ever decide I want the program again, I can reinstall and have all of my old preferences back again, without reconfiguring. They only take up a couple KB of space, so it's no big deal.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
gauchogolfer said:
I actually don't think it's an oversight at all. Apple prefers that programs be self-contained packages, and thus easily uninstalled by dragging to the trash. Windows Uninstaller is horrid, it often doesn't list all of the programs I have installed, and can't remove all of the associated files anyways. I much prefer Apple's approach.

When I delete programs I almost always keep the associated preference files that are associated, that way if I ever decide I want the program again, I can reinstall and have all of my old preferences back again, without reconfiguring. They only take up a couple KB of space, so it's no big deal.

I see your point. I guess I just don't know that much about how OSX works. I didn't know that the only files that weren't included in the main program file were preference files of only a few KB's :eek:

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
mad jew said:
Depending on the app, you should be able to simply drag it to the Trash, along with some of its associated files (do a search on your machine with Find or Spotlight for other files) and empty the Trash. :)

Yep, that's the most effective method without installing an application like AppZapper.

And yeah, Windows' Add/Remove programs does suck. It usually always leaves files behind and a lot of the time even leaves folders and other stuff, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.