Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
I have the Apple Music app installed but it keeps randomly open, hence i've not used it and are not intended to use it. How do i remove/uninstall the app from my Mac Mini (M1)?

Reactions: booksacool1

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i've seen music open a couple of times, seems to be a key shortcut thing (something i hit); not sure what it is, but if someone knows, my guess is you've hit that. anyone?

Reactions: chabig

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
i've seen music open a couple of times, seems to be a key shortcut thing (something i hit); not sure what it is, but if someone knows, my guess is you've hit that. anyone?

This morning i just switched on my Bose NC 700 and the music app opened :eek:

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Hard to tell. There is a chance it's not completely random. Perhaps, it's not properly quit, just closed, so when you use a shortcut, say, Command and 0 (zero) it pops up.
Try properly quitting it (open the app, press Command and Q), then restarting the Mac.
Also, try restarting in Safe Mode (hold the Shift key when restarting, it will take more time to restart. Then, when booted, restart regularly).

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Hard to tell. There is a chance it's not completely random. Perhaps, it's not properly quit, just closed, so when you use a shortcut, say, Command and 0 (zero) it pops up.
Try properly quitting it (open the app, press Command and Q), then restarting the Mac.
Also, try restarting in Safe Mode (hold the Shift key when restarting, it will take more time to restart. Then, when booted, restart regularly).

Well, lets put it this way, I was a bit unspecific in my OP.
I've never started Apple Music since my reinstall of the whole thing (Mac Mini M1) the other week.
Today it's opened three time so far. The first time when i started my BT headphones.
I don't use Apple music on any device (avid YouTube Premium/Music user)

So if i can get rid of the application without altering system settings and not to be affected when upgrading OS and so on, that would be great :)
(why are they bundling Apple Music of all clients there is? At least please make the installation optional)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
something to do with the BT headphones? you could try removing the headphones from bluetooth preferences, and reconnecting. something is causing the app to open....

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
something to do with the BT headphones? you could try removing the headphones from bluetooth preferences, and reconnecting. something is causing the app to open....

Yes, the thing is i am startin the same pair of headphones at least 10+ times a day, every day. Well the issue hasn't shown since lunch time (last time apporx 3h ago) so I'll just going to relax and see if it happens again.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Hm, an update. It seems like when picking up the headphones after 10-20 minutes is causing Apple music to start.
Strange, dont have anything assigned to the headphones on my Mac

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hm, an update. It seems like when picking up the headphones after 10-20 minutes is causing Apple music to start.
Strange, dont have anything assigned to the headphones on my Mac
not sure what the fix is, but at least you know more of what's happening. perhaps someone else here has some ideas, or... google. good luck with it!

Bugl3t

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
not sure what the fix is, but at least you know more of what's happening. perhaps someone else here has some ideas, or... google. good luck with it!
well, in my instance of this annoying AF bug, it's a volume pedal between my lap steel guitar and garageband. it's supposed to swell the volume but instead, as soon as it hits full on, the music app on my m1 mac mini starts.

Bugl3t

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
Thanks, but yeeezzz all that to remove/uninstall an app? I think I'll pass on that one.

So is there any solution on the issue that Apple Music randomly opens without doing anything with the computer that's trigging this odd behavior? I'm not signed in in Apple music btw
it's not random. it's triggered by anything like taking a call, using a pedal to change the volume in GB, etc. AND WORSE, you cannot delete this POS app.

Bugl3t

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
OK, here's a fix, at least on the M1 mac.
  1. go to a music file.
  2. right-click to get options Get Info
  3. find Open with...
  4. change to whatever, I used Quicktime
  5. Click the Apply to All button

should stop things from triggering Music

workerbee

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Apple Music usually starts when I turn my B&O Beoplays off or take them off.

While this admittedly is not perfect, please remember: there are larger, more important things at play here than our little annoyances. I mean, somehow Apple needs to grow its quarterly Services 17.5 billions $ piece of the cake, so obviously we can't just go and disable or even uninstall Music, can we?

Bugl3t

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
I was on the phone today with a senior engineering tech at Apple - he was challenged by this bug so we timestamp documented how an external volume knob, volume pedal (or, I guess, any external potentiometer) triggered the music app to automatically turn on (playing whatever last song played, which is, imo, a bug unto itself - if it didn't autoplay, I wouldn't care if Music was open as long as it was quiet).

After working our way through determing it wasn't a startup, preference, etc issue on my 2021 Mac M1 Mini. It's definitely the OS thinking any external pot is an on/off trigger and not specific to any app being used (as in Garageband or Audacity)

He's bumped this bug up (along with my Mac's diagnostics) to the 'head fixers' and I'm scheduled for a callback next Wed.

I'll be sure to pass on any fix or feedback after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.