How do I deleted paritions in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by GoRla89, Dec 22, 2013.

1. GoRla89 macrumors newbie

Ok I was trying to re-create my Recovery Partition after upgrading to a SSD. I didn't realize at first that I didn't have to create "extra" partition on my HD to create a recovery partition. But me being a dumb A$$ created 2 different partitions and now I can't delete them. Can someone help me? They appear in Disk Utility as mountable volumes. See attached jepg.

[​IMG]

I can't delete them from the Partition menu of the main HD. How can I delete them?

[​IMG]

2. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

EDIT: Nevermind - because now I see it doesn't let you delete it. I didn't click on in my head the problem. Ignore me.

From memory, click on Mac HD 2 (assuming that's the one you want gone), go to the erase tab, and erase it. Once that's done, press Mac HD 2 and then the partition tab. Select the Mac HD 2 partition, and then press the little minus down the bottom left, which will delete the partition. You can then stretch Mac HD partition to take up the free space which was previously occupied by the Mac HD 2 partition, and apply.

I'm using ML, and I'm not sure if it's the same on Mavericks, so if I'm wrong, someone please let me know.

3. murphychris macrumors 6502a

If you look at the 2nd screen shot, Type=Logical Volume Group. The first Mac HD isn't the physical drive (the SSD). It's a Core Storage LVG, and the "disks" underneath it are logical volumes, not partitions. That's why you're experiencing this.

I've pretty much given up on the UI in Disk Utility. It lies like a dog. The only way of really knowing what's going on is CLI. The basic three commands:

diskutil list #this shows partitions
    diskutil cs list #this shows Core Storage PVs, LVGs, LVFs, and LVs.

man disktutil #man page for diskutil, scroll way down to the Core Storage section if you want to know more about it.