How do I determine if my laptop is connected via B, G, or N wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I know i can drag and drop files from network shares and measure speeds and such, but right now i've got a Time Capsule in N/G/B compatibility mode. I'm a couple rooms away, and i'm curious what speed I'm currently connected at. Is there a utility that gives that info?

2. Powermax macrumors regular

Open /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility.app and choose the right network interface (Airport is usually en1).

Link speed is the interesting entry, here 54 Mbit means its a G connection.

Attached Files:

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Wow how did I never know that program existed... you learn something new everyday. Thanks!

130Mbit/s

Looks like I'm on N :D

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

I'm on N and have 270 Mbit

make sure you're using "wide channels" under wireless -> wireless options

this option is only available if you're using "N only (5 ghz)" so you can't use it if you have B/G things that connect.

Also keep in mind a B/G device that is connected will slow your N network down.

You can use "activity monitor" (in the utilities folder) to see what speed you're actually getting with an active file transfer. you may have to hit command-1 (or select it from the window menu) to make the application actually show. At least mine always defaults to nothing opened.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah I know that running in 5ghz mode would be much faster. Problem is that this is a household w/ iPod touches, multiple computers, etc. The only thing w/ 802.11N is this macbook pro and the iMac which is hooked up w/ ethernet. I'm considering upping the network to a 5ghz only network, and adding a 2.4ghz wireless access point, in order to separate the two. The 5ghz would be for speed and the other one would be for compatibility.