How do I disable internet in AirPort?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by idonotliketostu, Sep 27, 2010.

1. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

For one of my Macs, I want to disable the internet only but still want to be on the LAN. How do I do this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe there's any airport settings that allow you do this. You can exclude connectivity, i.e., setting a password or using MAC filters but its an all or nothing type of thing. You either let it connect or you don't.

Parental controls may allow this to a degree

I also believe you may be able to achieve this by editing the host file, or perhaps through a firewall product to block all non-local IP addresses. I don't think there's an easy solution aside from perhaps parental controls

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

set it to use a manual IP address and do not include the router address

4. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

i think you could also uninstall the browsers. that way that device can still get software updates.

unless you are trying to block all internet access then you will prolly want to follow what dmmcintyre3 said and a manual ip and don't put in the "default" gateway.

5. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

I should mention,

I connect to another internet service with Bluetooth, so it's not the case of I don't want internet access for the mac, just disabling internet for AirPort.

I understand I can set the bluetooth internet to be at a higher order than the airport, but I want to make sure i'll never be able to connect to the internet through airport incase my BT internet fails.

6. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

That did the trick! :)