How do I disable the Mac App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markw10, Jan 6, 2011.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I have a special needs son and for this reason I have to limit what he has access to on his iMac.
    With the Mac App Store coming I had made the choice to simply not install/download the Mac App Store. I realized that this morning that is not an option, it is installed as part of the 10.6.6 update.
    I removed it from the dock but still I realize it is installed on the Mac and for example it's an option on the Apple pulldown menu and I know there is an option of when a file cannot be opened there is an option to open the app store to find an app.
    I looked at Parental controls but unless I am wrong could not find an option to completely disable the app store. I don't mind enabling it when I want to install certain apps on his mac that he will need. This may be convenient but simply don't want him to be able to get into the app store to install apps.
    Thank you for your help.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Just like the iTunes store, you can set it to require a password before anything gets downloaded.

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

How do you do that?

I have looked for preferences or settings and all i have found is a blank settings page in the 'my account' section!!!

4. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Did you look under "Help" in the menu?

Attached Files:

6. 0815 macrumors 68000

Have not tried it - but I would assume you can drag the AppStore app to the Trash (or some other folder with 'special' permissions)

Also: whenever install something from the AppStore, it asks me for the password. I don't know your exact requirements/needs but maybe that is already good enough (Note: once authenticated, the password keeps 'active' for some time, I think 10min or so - you have to keep that in mind when using the AppStore)