Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
scenario is that my Air seems to have lost the ability to Select or click. I can move the pointer, I can even do a 2 finger "right" click. Have managed to navigate some with arrow keys and mixture of tab and option but can't Click! Borrowed a USB mouse but no difference. Did the PRAM and other multi finger reset to no avail. I'm thinking something has failed or got in such that the trackpad is sending a permanent press/click. Does any smart folks have a Terminal command I can try to keep me going?
Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
To disable trackpad while you have external mouse connected, you can dig into accessibility page of system preference.

While I don't know how to solve your problem, same in accesibility page, you have mouse key, which can let your keyboard control mouse cursor move, and do click for example.

Reactions: Buggyflayer

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
I knew about the accessibility box re: mouse key but couldn't get it selected when in the state that I couldn't click.

I've been travelling in rural Kenya & this happened about 3 days ago, I had very occasional poor data connection over mobile so gave up on it 'till I got back to Nairobi & posted the above on my iPhone. Having fired up the Air to try navigating to the Accessibility box While the external mouse is connected as per your suggestion I discovered that the issue has resolved itself... I loathe intermittent problems and my Applecare runs out in a matter of weeks so whilst I'm very happy to have my Air working properly, its probably only a matter of time until it happens again - or is it a bit of dust/sand that is only an issue in high-humidity... :-(

Due to your suggestion though, I have gone for the Ignore Trackpad while external mouse or trackpad is present so that if it happens again, I'm no longer stuck.

Many thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated! :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I knew about the accessibility box re: mouse key but couldn't get it selected when in the state that I couldn't click.

I've been travelling in rural Kenya & this happened about 3 days ago, I had very occasional poor data connection over mobile so gave up on it 'till I got back to Nairobi & posted the above on my iPhone. Having fired up the Air to try navigating to the Accessibility box While the external mouse is connected as per your suggestion I discovered that the issue has resolved itself... I loathe intermittent problems and my Applecare runs out in a matter of weeks so whilst I'm very happy to have my Air working properly, its probably only a matter of time until it happens again - or is it a bit of dust/sand that is only an issue in high-humidity... :-(

Due to your suggestion though, I have gone for the Ignore Trackpad while external mouse or trackpad is present so that if it happens again, I'm no longer stuck.

Many thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated! :)
Glad to see you have solved this provlem.

No worries. :)

Reactions: Buggyflayer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.