How do I Disabling Dock Auto Hide?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by volcomjerk, Aug 4, 2008.

1. volcomjerk macrumors newbie

I love and hate the dock. I rarely use it but at times I am glad it's there. I'd like to be able to only call up the dock with the auto hide command. What is really annoying is when the dock pops up simply because you move your mouse near the hot zone for the dock to pop up. This is VERY annoying. Is there a way to have the dock just hide and appear on command?

Thanks

2. volcomjerk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I know what the command is to hide the dock but I guess what I'm asking is there a way to disable the dock from popping up when moving your mouse to the edge of the screen.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

oh, sorry. i need to learn to read.

[UPDATE]: I am playing with this, just wanted to let you know. Im intrigued, I've managed to kill it so it doesnt come back and am looking for a way to be able to execute this procedure with key commands.

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

There are no options in the Dock pref pane to disable the dock, so I'm not sure about writing an applescript. I expect there's a terminal command around somewhere.
    To create a keyboard shortcut install quicksilver and make a trigger

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

there is not a way to do this without some serious assault on your mac. I've played with killing the dock and its just a bad idea. App switching is dependent on it, minimizing breaks, dashboard just goes crazy, and other weird stability issues come up.

I'm gonna play with developing some apps to replace the dock (well run along side it/replace a few features)

6. volcomjerk thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow just realized how bad my title was. Guess I was still half a sleep when I wrote that.

Anyway, I did more research and yeah it is a bad idea. Kind of annoying that I dont' really want to kill the dock, I just want to hide it and make it appear by command only. I don't want any hot zones to make it appear. It's annoying when I'm going to resize a window and have that thing pop up because my mouse goes near the area. If I could just do CMD+OPT+D to make it appear and disappear that would be perfect.