How do I dismiss word suggestions on a physical keyboard?

abasak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I have a physical keyboard connected to my iPad, and live in a non-English speaking country where we don’t have predictive typing. So I get the old school spelling suggestions when I type, as seen in the picture below. However sometimes the suggestions are way off, but how do I dismiss them on a physical keyboard with no ESC-button?

Hope you guys can help.

Attachments

flaubert

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I think that what you're looking for is under Settings > General > Keyboards, then look for the Predictive switch about mid-way down the screen. If not that one, try turning off Auto-Correction in that same group of settings.

abasak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I think that what you're looking for is under Settings > General > Keyboards, then look for the Predictive switch about mid-way down the screen. If not that one, try turning off Auto-Correction in that same group of settings.
Thank you for your reply, however it is not auto-correction as a whole, but just certain suggestion when they aren’t correct, I would like to reject. The Danish auto-correct often makes very bad suggestions, so it would be nice to be able to dismiss it on the keyboard.

flaubert

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
OK, so I think I misunderstood your question... I thought you wanted to get rid of all these suggestions, but you just want to dismiss them some of the time on a case by case basis? There is an old-school way of generating the Escape key code that perhaps your keyboard will understand (or the iPad will understand): hold down the Control key, and press the left square bracket key:

Ctrl [

Hope this helps!

abasak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
OK, so I think I misunderstood your question... I thought you wanted to get rid of all these suggestions, but you just want to dismiss them some of the time on a case by case basis? There is an old-school way of generating the Escape key code that perhaps your keyboard will understand (or the iPad will understand): hold down the Control key, and press the left square bracket key:

Ctrl [

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much, I’ll see if I can get to this. [ and ] are hidden as alt + 8 or 9 on my Danish keyboard, which complicates things a bit :)