How do I display a full featured Print Dialog Box?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bill P., Dec 13, 2008.

1. Bill P. macrumors regular

I just purchased a new Canon Inkjet printer and like my old Epson, the print dialog box is very limited. My only options are to change paper size or landscape mode. I'm unable to choose the number of pages, copies or print quality, etc.

How do I get a full featured print dialog box to display?

As an aside, in the printer/fax prefs I ink supply levels are unavailable as well.

Assistance appreciated.

Bill

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Its possible that the Mac OS is using the default printer drivers loaded with it whenever the system was imaged. Try going directly to the Canon/Epson websites respectively to see if they have any 10.5 specific drivers. After installing them you should have all the features you're expecting.

3. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I downloaded the latest driver (11/8/08) from the Canon site and installed it & restarted.

I then opened the Print and Fax pref and deleted the driver that was installed earlier today with the new printer install CD. However, the new drover does not appear, only the driver installed earlier. I must admit, I'm lost when it comes to drivers and where they are installed on 10.5.5.

Thanks for the assistance! Ideas?

Bill

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

Canon Pixma MP620

6. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Does your print dialogue box look like this?

For my printer (a Canon MP610), I select the option box that I've rather professionally highlighted with the red arrow, and it gives me detailed options for quality etc.

Is yours the same?

Attached Files:

7. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

You dialogue box is exactly what I'm trying to achieve! Mine looks like this:

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

See that button with the downward-pointing triangle next to the printer's name? Flip it open to expand the options. It's a standard OS X dialogue box feature.

9. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

Duh! Thanks so much for pointing out the obvious to me. I assumed that was for switching printers. I appreciate your kind assistance!

Can you tell me how to check for ink levels?

Regards,

Bill

10. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

I have solved the last of this little learning experience. I located the Canon Printer Utility (I was previously looking in the wrong Library) and it has all of the usual features, checking ink levels, etc.

Enjoy your Sunday, gentleman!

Bill