how do I do a clean install?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by heavy2healthy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I have 2013 rmbp 15 and I upgraded to maverick when it came out. But it seems to run hot, the browser will freeze now and then When I first start it, if I open a browser and start typing there is a delay. Would a fresh install help this and if so how? Im a newbie.

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

http://mashable.com/2013/10/23/clean-install-os-x-mavericks/

3. heavy2healthy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you but would a clean install fix the problems I am having?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no need to make a USB key to do a clean install. Just command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Util and click install OS. That will DL and install Mavs for you and you will have a fresh install.

Maybe. It depends on what is causing the problem and how you set things up afterwards.

If you have some app that is causing this conflict with Mavs, and you import everything, including that app/utility, you will be right back where you are now.

How about before you go to all this trouble try starting Activity Monitor and go to the CPU tab and sort by CPU%. Do you see anything there using a high % of CU cycles that might be slowing things down?

What browser are you using?

Try making a new temp admin account and login to that account and tell us if the problem persists.

There is no inherent issue with Mavs and a 2013 rMBP. It is far more likely you have some app or utility installed that is causing this.

5. heavy2healthy thread starter macrumors regular

For thank you for your help. I did the activity monitor and there is nothing spiked but it does run doing nothing but having a web browser open at 49c is that normal?
    I use chrome as the browser and the text input delay is chrome because I downloaded firefox and it was fine.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

49C is normal. Try out the other things I suggested and let us know how it goes.

7. heavy2healthy thread starter macrumors regular