Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
First off, I know this isn't really in the "right" category, but I figure it's the best. This question unfortunately has nothing to do with Macs, but I do own a few! :)

Here's what I want to accomplish: I want to use the component video out on my Xbox 360 to display on my monitor. The monitor's only analog input is VGA though. So I need a component video to VGA adapter/converter.

The only problem is I don't know how it works with the Y-Pr-Pb to RBGHV signals. I don't know if I would need some sort of converter box for this or what.

I will be using the other composite (yellow) cable that comes out of the Xbox to plug into my capture card and then use the component video to play on another higher quality display. I've tested this and it works.

——————————————

If you can think of any other/better way to set this up I'd love to know. Here's what needs to happen:

Video from Xbox can be component, composite, VGA, HDMI, or DVI.
Video from the xbox needs to hit the monitor which has inputs for DVI, HDMI, and VGA.
Video from the Xbox also needs to hit the capture card which has a composite input.

Thanks so much for whoever can help me with this.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
I will be using the other composite (yellow) cable that comes out of the Xbox to plug into my capture card and then use the component video to play on another higher quality display. I've tested this and it works.

——————————————

Video from Xbox can be component, composite, VGA, HDMI, or DVI.
Video from the xbox needs to hit the monitor which has inputs for DVI, HDMI, and VGA.
Video from the Xbox also needs to hit the capture card which has a composite input.

Just get the xbox 360 VGA cable.

You have failed to explain how this would allow me to plug it into my capture card and monitor. And I already have one.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009

I can't thank you enough…

I have a cable that has a [m]component side and [m]VGA side. I bought it a long time ago and don't know which way it works, or if it works at all. As of now I can't get it to work.

I still don't know which one of those I need, the plain cable, or some type of converter. All you did was post a link to something I could have easily looked up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.