How Do I Do This (dock question)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jim Bonza, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Jim Bonza macrumors newbie

Ok, so you know when you have several windows open and they only show up at the dock when they are minimized?

I'd actually like to keep them all showing at the dock whether they are minimized or now.

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!!

2. devburke Guest

You can’t do that. Are you familiar with Exposé? In my (and I’d bet everyone else’s on this forum) opinion, it’s a MUCH better solution.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm afraid the only way to have windows showing in the dock IS to have them minimized.

At least, I've never heard of or seen another way.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I disagree- you can't do that with a window. You can do that with folders and docs, but not windows.

6. Jim Bonza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Well I'm still 1,00000 % more happy with Mac than I have been with using Windows over the last 5 years.

This particular item was the only thing I have a gripe about.

Oh well - no big deal :)

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What sort of windows do you want to keep in the dock? Why? If you give us more info I am sure there is a short cut or easy way to do what you want...there almost always is!:apple:

8. Jim Bonza thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, let's say I've got a browser open in Safari and I click on a link that opens up a site in another window (not a tab), well the other window pops up but the original browser that I was in cannot be seen in the dock, only when I minimize the second window to get there.

Basically I want every browser/program that I am running to be seen in the dock, must like Windows XP does when you are running anything - they can all be seen at the bottom no matter what site/window/program/ you are in.

Hope that explains it better.

9. devburke Guest

Again, are you familiar with Exposé?

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I hate opening things in new windows. If you're of a similar mind, you can make other applications open in tabs under Safari -> Preferences -> Open links from applications -> in a new tab in the current window. Links within Safari itself can be made to always open in tabs rather than windows by opening a Terminal window and running:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Indeed.

11. Jim Bonza thread starter macrumors newbie

No, what exactly is Expose?

12. Jim Bonza thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, thank you.

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Here's what it looks like :
    Expose'

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

15. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

This issue annoyed me too when I first switched before I learned to use Exposé to switch between application windows easily. I've never looked back. I'm sure it'll take care of your needs as well!

16. devburke Guest

Totally agree. Exposé must be the single most under-appreciated aspect of OS X, because it's so integral, we Mac users tend to forget what it was like to work without it! It's easily the first thing I miss when I use Windows.

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suggest setting up hot corners ( -> System Preferences -> Exposé & Spaces -> Exposé -> Active Screen Corners) to make things even easier. It's not so convenient now that I'm working with three monitors, but it's great with one.

18. devburke Guest

And/or if you're using a mouse with extra buttons, assign one of them to "All Windows"

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

OP is this what your talking about?

Open up System Preferences -> Dock -> Check "Minimize windows into application icon"

When you have multiple windows open you can minimize them behind the dock icon and when you click the dock icon they all pop back out.

OP I'm pretty sure this is what you are talking about.

EDIT: Oops! I'm wrong I completely misread your post. Sorry about that!!!

20. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

The answer: use Cmd+H & Cmd+Tab

I have a system for navigating applications and windows on my Mac.
    Basically I Hide (Cmd+H) every app I'm not using except for Finder. Finder I Minimize (Cmd+M).

Then I know that I can Cmd+Tab to any app and all its windows will appear for me. Or I can navigate to the app using Exposé. The end result is the same.
    I can then cycle through the individual windows of that app using Cmd+`.

But OS X requires that you not hide ALL of the apps. There must always be at least ONE application unhidden. So I designate Finder as the app that is Minimized rather than hidden. This prevents confusion.

21. devburke Guest

That's not at all what the OP was asking for though. What he wanted was basically every open window to have a spot on the dock, just like minimized ones do, similar to how every open window in Windows has a spot on the taskbar.

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It was like this: Window Menu > select window you want to view by Title, listed at the bottom of the pull-down

That's so easy, I almost always use it. I forget that I can just hit F9 and click the one I want to bring forward.

23. Jim Bonza thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my good friends, Expose has made me a happy camper.

I never go too long without finding something that Mac can
    do that makes me happy (coming from an ex-windows user
    for a long time).

Thanks again for all of the good replies and help.

24. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

LIke I said, there is usually an easy way to do what you want with a mac....be sure to spend some time in the system preferences and online seeing what the Mac OSX experience is all about.:apple::D

Glad we could figure out the problem.

25. devburke Guest

Agreed. People naturally look for things to behave the way they’re used to, and a lot of people get frustrated and angry at their computer when it’s not the same. But if you’re willing to go out and learn the differences, you’ll find your Mac very nice. :)