Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I was going to buy an iPad for one usage:

I have ripped lots of DVD that I own, into ISO files, which I played on Mac very easily.

Many of those DVD are lecture and eductional subjects. I want to be able to just copy on to iPad and watch them when I am on the train, travelling, etc.

When I went to Apple store yesterday, I was about to buy an iPad, only to find out that there is no simple way watch a DVD or DVD iso file on iPad. I was told that I would need to convert it, then put it in iTunes library, then sync.

What would be the simplest way to do this?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
MRoogle search results for "video DVD to iPad"

Or:

For iTunes and your iPad choose the iPod or AppleTV Preset in Handbrake. Once the transcoding is done, import the finished .m4v file into iTunes and drag it to your iPad.

1. How to copy the content of video DVDs to your HDD

As commercial video DVDs use a copy protection scheme called CSS (Content Scramble System), additional software is needed to copy the content of a video DVD to your HDD, which is called "ripping". There are several applications to accomplish this.​

1.1. MacTheRipper 2.6.6 (free)
Insert the video DVD into your DVD drive and open MacTheRipper and click the GO button, after which you can select the place you want the video DVD's content saved to.
As this version of MTR is quite old, it will not read many modern DVDs.

1.2. RipIt (19.95 USD, trial with 10 rips free)
Insert the video DVD and press the RIP button.

1.3. Fairmount (free)​

1.4. Mac DVDRipper Pro (9.95 USD)
Insert the video DVD and select a destination folder, then press the RIP button.

2. How to transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video DVD material for use on your computer after you ripped the video DVD.

As video DVDs take up a lot of space (up to 8GB), one can transcode (changing the format and encoding) the MPEG-2 encoded video into MPEG-4 encoded video via Handbrake, which might only take 1GB of HDD capacity away, while still looking good.

Handbrake currently offers to read VIDEO_TS folders, the folder on the video DVD with all the material (menus, video and audio) inside, and transcode the footage to something smaller. Currently variants of the space efficient and highly qualitative MPEG-4 codec are used, H264 or Xvid for example.
The current version of Handbrake offers two container formats, .mkv and .mp4, older versions also had the .avi container to transcode to.
.mkv and .mp4 containers accept the H264 codec, also used for the QuickTime trailers on Apple's Trailer page.
Handbrake also offers PRESETS for you to choose from. There are for the AppleTV, iPhone and iPod Touch, iPod and some more.

For more information about properly using Handbrake, either go to the Handbrake Community, read the Handbrake Guide or use MRoogle to find dozens upon dozens of threads about this.​

3. How to transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video DVD material for use on your computer without ripping the video DVD.

If you don't want to rip the video DVDs first, and just use Handbrake fro Transcoding the video, make sure to install VLC Player to circumvent the CSS we talked earlier about.
But as Handbrake is 64-bit and VLC is 32-bit, you need to download Handbrake in 32-bit too.

VLC Player 32-bit (VLC 1.0.5)
Handbrake 64-bit Intel, 32-bit Intel and 32-bit PPC on this page, so choose the right one

from How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

Btw, if you don't run Mac OS X (you didn't specify), get ripping software for Windows and use Handbrake for Windows.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
i don't want to transcode again.....

i have so many dvd ISO.. what's the simplest way to view them on iPad while I am on the go????

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You could download air video but it would only work if you have a wifi signal.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Try to find out if AirVideo will transcode ISO files. If it does, that's your best bet. Good luck!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
i don't want to transcode again.....

i have so many dvd ISO.. what's the simplest way to view them on iPad while I am on the go????

So you already transcoded them to get DVD ISO "files"?

Try Air Video as suggested, but you need to be on your home or own network, the same where the DVD ISO "files" are.
As you can read the specs of the iPad here, it does not accept your format, thus the need to transcode (again) or stream it.

of couse i have wifi at home..

what does air video do????

where to download????

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html;jsessionid=9500F4F09EED06801E820B8C09CCF77D
found via search

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK

where to download????

The previous poster meant you had to have a WiFi connection on the iPad on the train etc.

Other than that you have to transcode.

And a bit of politeness in your responses wouldn't go amiss. :rolleyes:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

where to download????

Airvideo is in the app store. You download the app plus a server program for your computer. It transcodes your videos for you on the fly. I use it daily and it works perfectly.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Airvideo is in the app store. You download the app plus a server program for your computer. It transcodes your videos for you on the fly. I use it daily and it works perfectly.

does that mean you watch video at your own home network?

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
I don't believe you have to be on the same wifi network if you have a dedicated ip address for your machine. Most people don't, but you can use noip program to get a dedicated address you can use to connect to your computer. Whenever your sip changes your ip addy, no ip software automatically updates via it's software on the computer and your good to go. You can use the vids wherever you go without using your iPad storage.

Edit: stream2me is a nice app for this.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
You do not need a dedicated IP address.

With AirVideo, just click on the Remote tab, put the pin number into your iPad client and it will find your computer across the Internet.

Too simple.

wow...that's good

now, any chance to have the iso on my ipad so i can carry anywhere and watch my movie?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above but to add I have traveled up the country by car and used airvideo over 3G without any hiccups.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
wow...that's good

now, any chance to have the iso on my ipad so i can carry anywhere and watch my movie?

This is all you get:

TV and video

Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

From Apple's website.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
As above but to add I have traveled up the country by car and used airvideo over 3G without any hiccups.

I do as well. I use it more so over 3G than wifi. Here in Finland, unlimited data really means just that. Unlimited. No caps, no hidden costs, etc.... and all the operators support tethering. Have been tethering my iPhone from day one, all for the low, low price of 18 dollars a month. Did I mention I have a dual sim card with the same data plan for an additional 7 dollars a month? I do not mind being posted overseas at all.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
wow...that's good

The same server software can transcode a copy for you so you could sync it with your iPad.

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010

i am going to try it on iphone first

is this app from app store?
if i buy one for my iphone, do i need to pay again for ipad?

chris650

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
The same server software can transcode a copy for you so you could sync it with your iPad.

Just went to Inmethod website, it said it won't stream ripped DVD... does that mean no playing ISO file????

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
An iso file is just a mirror image of your DVD. Since iPads don't play DVDs, they don't play iso files either. And apps like Air Video wouldn't stream them either, since iso files aren't video files. I don't know how it works on a Mac, but on a PC you can mount iso files as a virtual DVD drive and assign them drive letters. If you can do this on a Mac, then you could point Air Video to the virtual drive and it might stream from the virtual drive. But you'd have to mount your iso file first.

On the other hand, I don't know what you did to create your iso files, but if they are exact copies of the original DVDs, then transcoding them to iTunes format video should give you the same quality videos as you would have gotten if you had transcoded them from the original DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.