How do i do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macs4u, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Macs4u macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a macbook with leopard and have downloaded msn for mac off the apple website. I have my applications folder in stacks on the dock to show grid. When i download it, it showed up on the desktop as msn messenger image. How do i get the msn icon to show in the applications folder in stacks and get rid of that image drive on the desktop?

Matt

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is a very comman misconception for new Mac users and expecially when trying to install MSN for some reason :confused: (it happened to me too!)

take a look at this guide on how to install applications from a disk image. when you drag it into you Applications folder it will appear in the Application stack.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

open the image on the desktop (double click it) and it should mount..
    then just drag the application to your Applications folder.. this is install the App..

once that's done, you can eject the image and then move it to the trash..

this is assuming it's a DMG image and not a MPKG

for further info, read this

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

dang., you beat me to it by a few seconds.. lol!

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ its ok we have similar minds!… we both linked to the same guide! very useful stuff that is… kudos to whoever wrote it.

6. Macs4u thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the help. its now working brilliant. Is adium much better?

Which msn for mac will allow webcam?

Matt

7. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

yeah sadly microsoft seems to be purposely "dropping the ball" on msn webcam for mac. Most likely because its not like microsoft entirely LOVES OS X :p they just love to copy it >.>

Anyways, I suggest using aMSN (google it) right now its the best/closest thing to msn webcam your gonna get on the mac.

But if webcam is not important to you then Adium is VERY good, one of the best programs for OS X IMO. I suggest you at least try it out (its free after all) just go to www.adiumx.com

The Adium team does plan on adding webcam/voice support by version 2.0 (if you look at the roadmap plans) and it is at version 1.3B3 ATM. Idk exactly how close they are but at least they plan on having it some day.