How do I do this?.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SayCheese, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2007
    Thame, Oxfordshire, England
    Hi people,

I am wondering if the following is at all possible to do and if so how?

There is a podcast that I listen to and it gets updated at about 2 or 3 am several mornings a week. What I want to know is this....

Is there a way to wake my MBP from sleep mode, at a predefined time such as 4am and then get iTunes to download the podcast, making sure it has finished downlaoading, before going back into sleep mode? I have been in the situation before where I have been part way through a download and then the MBP goes back to sleep mode and stops the download part way through.

Once it has downloaded the other part of the question come into play. I then want to be able to dock my iPhone to the MBP connected dock when I get up and the podcast updates automatically, keeping on the iPhone only the last weeks worth of podcasts.

I am sure that there must be a way to do this but am not sure where to start.

All help appreciated.
  2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005

I think you probably can do this. The best guess would be to make your mac wake from sleep and sleep at a set time (under Schedule in Energy Save in your System Preferences). I am sure there are some apps out there which you can use to make iTunes start up 2 minutes after you wake the machine from sleep. You then leave it long enough to download and send it back to sleep.

I think there is a setting in iTunes to only download the latest podcasts to the iPhone but I am not sure.

Hope this helps.
  3. macrumors member

Sep 18, 2007
    Would the Automator program not be of service in a situation like this?
  4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    That is what my initial though was, but I am not sure if it can determine when a podcast has completed its download.
  5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2007
    Not where you live.
    You can write (or probably download) an Automator script that you drop in iCal that will do this.

Google it, I've seen something like that in a magazine once, but I don't have it anymore. There's a site somewhere that has hundreds of Automation scripts especially for iTunes - again, just Google it.