How do I downgrade from 10.4.10 to 10.4.9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cleanup, Jun 29, 2007.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

:confused:

Is the only way to do an Archive and Install from my 10.4.9 discs? Is it safe?

I want to do this because of the way 10.4.10 has borked AirPort on MacBooks and is causing kernal panics when I'm on battery power...

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The only way I know of is to do an archive and install

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

It it safe? Should never have updated in the first place. My iMac is still 10.4.9 and runs beautifully. When I first powered up my MacBook it gave me about 908 updates and I just said yes to all.

4. moonislune macrumors regular

Wow. Cleanup, you could have just told him or her to

1) Backup important files
    2) Either do an archive and install (best solution) OR
    3) More risky but works - boot up your mac in Target disk mode by holding T as the mac boots up, connect your mac with Leopard to another mac. Delete only your Leopard SYSTEM folder and LEO specific apps from your Leopard Applications directory (as Tiger won't run Preview, ichat, address book, etc. from Leopard). Shutdown. Reboot using your Mac OSX Tiger DVD or CD. It will now let you install Tiger as an upgrade. Make sure when you choose your username it is exactly the same as your old username (so your user folder will be preserved.) After install, reboot using your Tiger install disk and repair permissions. You may have to reinstall some apps. Hope this helps...it works with all versions of OS X.

Cleanup, after all, it is a GOOD thing that the user is removing Leo :) and going legit to Tiger

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

What? Okay, first of all, I'm the one asking for help, the original poster, so telling myself what to do kind of defeats the purpose of posting in this forum. I was telling MYSELF that I should never have updated to 10.4.10.

Secondly... since when do I have Leopard? I want to downgrade from 10.4.10 (which is Tiger...) to 10.4.9.

6. moonislune macrumors regular

Forgive me. I haven't had enough coffee this morning. You can always download the 10.4.9 update from Apple and install it using Pacifist. That should bring you back to 10.4.9

7. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

That's okay.

Ah... I remember using Pacifist once to restore a copy of an App that I had managed to corrupt... but how can I use it to downgrade without completely reinstalling OS X??

8. moonislune macrumors regular

Just install the 10.4.9 update to the "default location" using Pacifist. It will overwrite the files installed in the 10.4.10 update. You can always compare the 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 updates beforehand using Pacifist to see exactly what files will be overwritten. I'd definitely make a backup of important stuff, but hopefully this would keep you from having to completely reinstall.

9. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

By install do you mean the "Install" button at the top of Pacifist? I noticed it. I downloaded the 10.4.9 Combo Update and it's a bit different than what's on my Mac OS X DVD...

If I simply selected everything and click "Install" will Pacifist know what goes where and whatnot?

I have read somewhere that it's unwise to downgrade and Apple doesn't recommend it because there might be extraneous files that are sitting around that screw up the system or something or other...

It's just a bit daunting.

While I don't technically have a backup, everything on my MacBook is also on my old iMac. I only recently got this thing, and everything is still on my old computer... but I really don't feel like messing my MacBook up and having to do a reinstall and another moving-over of all of my junk.

10. moonislune macrumors regular

If you select "Install" and use admin priviledges, it will install the package to the default location. While you are correct as it is generally not recommended to downgrade, it might work well for you and save a lot of time. I have done this with previous 10.4.x releases and it worked for me.

11. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I just broke my MacBook.

I did what you said. Then I tried to restart... wouldn't get past the shut down screen so I powered it down. When I turn it back on it flickers between a Cancel sign and an Apple logo.

Going to try to do an Archive and Install now...

Great.

12. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

okay my Installer has beachballed. It won't get past the "Verifying destination volume" phase...

IS MY HARD DRIVE BROKEN NOW??

someone please help.

[EDIT] Never mind. It got past it but it took an EXTREMELY long time... This is def. taking longer than my first Mac OS X installation.

FINGERS CROSSED.

Jesus Christ... I can't believe this is happening. 2% Complete.

13. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Someone please help.

After inserting Disc 2, my installer seems to be idling on "Installing iWork '06 Trial: Writing files"... there's been no progress on the bar for a good 5 minutes now...

I don't know what to do. I just got this MacBook. I can't stop the Installer. I don't know what to do. It's 1 am here in China and I'm at my wits end.

Please help.

In the installer log it said that it didn't install the iWork apps because a newer version already existed.

Now it's idling on "1% Completed" for the iWork trial...

It makes the tiniest progress very slowly. My first installation wasn't nearly this slow. I'm very worried. What could be wrong?

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're doing an archive and install... there is no need to re-install all the extra software... go into Custom Installation and only check Base System to make sure you're only installing System Software and not all the trial software and extra fonts and stuff. The computer is probably trying to install stuff that's already there so it's having to scan everything and decide whether or not to overwrite it. If it's still taking a long time, hold down the power button until your computer shuts down, then start up holding the C key until the install disc takes over and try what I mentioned above. You didn't break your hard drive.

15. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I sure hope not.

I wanted to reinstall everything just to be safe. It is taking a while, but it's nearly finished.

I'm assuming that my whole foray into the Pacifist thing didn't mess with my personal files and only Mac OS X, and once the Archive & Install is done all of my applications will still be present/iTunes library still present/settings retained, etc.?

Thanks for replying, TheSpaz.

16. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Looks like everything's fine so far. A couple of preferences panes disappeared and I had to reinstall them.

Restarting now.

I did all of this just to fix my wireless dropout problem, which admittedly is a big problem, but it was such a hassle. I was so stressed out. :eek:

I hope my poor MacBook's okay. It seems to startup much slower now though. Hopefully that'll go away.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It usually takes longer to startup after a System Software install. After that it should start up fine from now on. Everything should be working fine now.

18. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Thanks. :) Let's hope my wireless holds up. If not, all of this was pointless lol

10.4.9 ftw.

19. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

While my wireless works now, it came at the cost of about 10 GB of hard drive space. :eek: I used to have about 80 GB free, now I have 70... yikes.

20. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

So delete what was archived and regain it?

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That happens because an Archive and Install deletes all the preferences, so anything like menu meters is going to have to be installed again.

22. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

call me an idiot, but how?

[edit] is it the previous systems folder?

23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, that's the folder.

24. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Splendid.

Emptying the trash takes a looooong time... I guess that's what happens when you're getting rid of 12 GB of stuff.

25. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, that's what happens. Kinda like when your deleting a program with thousands of individual files in it, it takes forever.