How do I downgrade my iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by guydor4, Nov 14, 2007.

1. guydor4 macrumors member

How do I downgrade my iPod touch from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1?
    please....

2. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Down Load the previous version of Firm

First you need to download the 1.1.1. firmware, you can find a link to the firmware in this post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=386924

When the file downloads just make sure the extension ends in .ipsw if not then change it from whatever it is (usually zip) to .ipsw

Contect your ipod to your Mac, start iTunes, on the summary page select restore but hold down the option key as you click restore (next to the ctrl key on the left of the keyboard) this will allow you to select what firmware to restore. Just find were you put the file you downloaded and renamed from above and click on that, it will extract and restore to that version of the firmware.

This is exactly what I did and it worked fine.

Cheers!

Cheers!

3. duraace macrumors member

Turns out iTunes saves each firmware version on your computer. On the mac it's in ~/Library->iTunes->iPod Software Updates

4. Bluem000n macrumors newbie

Hi,

Having looked at lots of sites containing more or less the same instructions for downgrading from 1.1.2, I (seemingly like many others) cannot successfully complete the procedure. Since it works for some but not for others, I'm assuming that there must be something different in the software / hardware combination - eg. I have UK ipod touch, and am running iTunes 7.5 on a mac. Could those who have been successful in this procedure please also confirm details of their own setup, for comparison purposes? I'd love to downgrade, can select the 1.1.1 firmware, but can't get past the error stage after decompression.

Cheers all.

5. touched09 macrumors newbie

FINALLY HAVE AN ANSWER TO ERROR after downgrade!!!

I sincerely hope this works for someone else as it worked for me...

I consistently got the error "The ipod "iPod" cannot be restored due to error(1)" or something to that effect until recently when I finally got it to work!

This is what I did...

Go to a terminal window. Type the following commands.

cd ~/Library/

cd iTunes/

cd iPod\ Software\ Updates/

rm iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw (or whatever the name of your 1.1.2 firmware is...if you do not know the filename, after the last command, type "ls" without the quotes of course, and you should have two firmware files listed. use the one for firmware 1.1.2)

So basically, what this is doing is getting rid of the 1.1.2 Restore file that Apple put on your computer when you upgraded. Once I got rid of this file, I was then able to do the option+Restore (or shift+Restore on a PC) and everything ran as planned.

THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY WORK. TRUST ME I SPENT HOURS GETTING THAT SAME ERROR AND NOW IT'S PERFECT. EMAIL me with any problems or questions. Good luck!

***FYI****FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE TERMINAL!

HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS USING THE FINDER WINDOW:

1) Go to your main home directory (mine is my name "whitney" with a small home icon beside it)

2) Go to the Library folder.

3) Open the iTunes folder.

4) Open the iPod Software Updates Folder.

5) Move or delete the 1.1.2 firmware file out of this folder. You should also have the 1.1.1 firmware file located here. KEEP IT! If you do not have it, download it and put it in this precise location.

6) Now, when doing option+Restore in iTunes, go to this EXACT folder and choose the 1.1.1 firmware. Everything should work.

GOOD LUCK!!!

6. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

Hey,

I've just got an iPod Touch from week 47 batch and I'm trying to hack it now. I've done what the internet guides at touchdev suggest and went through, downloaded the 1.1.1 from Apple, sorted the zip to a ipsw and that's fine.

That's this bad boy:
    [​IMG]

Now, once I did that. I did your terminal commands, which were executed okay I think:

[​IMG]

As I'm sure you'll know, what I did at the end was just show hidden files, so I could actually go find and look in the iPod Software Updates folder which I couldn't see previously.

I deleted that file, and it's signature file. Then opened iTunes with the iPod in recovery mode, followed by ALT+Clicking Restores, choosing the iPod1,2_2.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw file and it unpacking it. After that, I got:

[​IMG] and
    [​IMG]

Yet again - quite frustrating!

I double checked it deleted the files which it was meant to - it has:
    [​IMG]

I've now restored the iPod to 1.1.2, and I'm re-downloading all the files to check it's okay. I see no logical reason why it won't restore with these files. I think that one of the problems is that my iPod touch actually came with 1.1.2 installed on it already so I don't have the previous files.

Do I want to save the .ipsw file in the library > iTunes > iPod updates folder as well or will the restore do that?

7. emb531 macrumors member

hey man i think your problem is you are trying to downgrade to 1.1.2

you want 1.1.1, this is the filename

[​IMG]

so my recommendation is to download the correct 1.1.1 firmware Link

save it to your desktop

then open up itunes, alt-click on UPDATE, NOT Restore, then select the .ispw 1.1.1 file on your desktop

run the slovix jailbreak (navigate your ipod to this website http://www.tinyurl.com/36dsyz

open up installer once jailbroken, install community sources, go to recent packages, download "Okto Prep" this will allow you to jailbreak 1.1.2

now, open itunes back up, once again alt-click on UPDATE, NOT Restore, and select your 1.1.2 .ispw file.

once UPDATED to 1.1.2, follow the README in this jailbreak software to complete 1.1.2 jailbreak Link (right click and select save as)

if you need any help, let me know

8. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

Is there much difference between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2?

I've successfully downloaded and jailbroken it now. I installed a couple of games and summer board to double check it's working - although my WiFi is having a lot of trouble but I think that's something to do with my connection from my MBP's wireless.

Due to the wireless problems installing the applications for SFTP have also been hard :(

9. chris07828 macrumors newbie

Why is it so hard????

i have been trying for about 5 hours straight to downgrade my ipod Touch Firmware from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1, i have tried everything, i downloaded 1.1.1 from about 10 diffrent places but they still dont work. i keep hetting error code 1 and error code...... something else.

i have also tried selecting the file from its exact location in the ipod software update folder however i still keep getting the same problems.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

cheers chris :confused:

10. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

try to restore the touch.

than follow any of the above posts or the many others on this forum.