How Do I Downgrade to 10.6.4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yamcha, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hi Guys,

I need to downgrade to 10.6.4, anyone know how I can do this? =/ Its driving me nuts I can't find anything on it online..

Appreciate your help :)

2. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nope. But if you find one, be sure to post it here.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about the same issue and may solve your problem.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As spinnerlys posted, the only way to downgrade is reinstall the OS.

5. merlin macrumors newbie

Me too!

I was wondering if it was possible to downgrade through Time Machine. I haven't upgraded to 10.5 figuring everything seems to be working well on my recently purchased 12-Core, so why tempt the fates. I also use Pro Tools HD, which can be very picky about system software. It's also working fine. Any PT users out there that have upgraded with or without problems (oops, I suppose I should have said "issues.";)!)?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Downgrading by TM is possible but its in effect reloading the operating system. You boot off the install CD, select boot Time Machine restore and wait, wait, wait and wait. I did this once and it took well over 8 hours to restore 200 gigs worth of data.

7. lapocompris macrumors regular

Boot with a Snow Leopard retail DVD, select to install only "the essentials", it'll bring you back to 10.6.0 while preserving all your data and application

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The OP has an 21.5" iMac, which was released in 10/2009 and came with Mac OS X 10.6.1, I think it was a special build even. Therefore using a Retail version of Mac OS X 10.6.0 will not work, but the grey Restore DVDs will do, though it will keep the system as it was including the updates.
    I once did a reinstall of Mac OS X 10.6 using a 10.6.0 Retail DVD on a Mac with 10.6.3, and after the installation 10.6.3 was still on that machine. One needs to do a Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to properly downgrade, but I think it has been mentioned already.