Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
hey,
Does anyone know if there's a way to download or "rip" flash swf files from the net, such as animated cartoons made in Flash? I heard this was possible but maybe I was misinformed.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I have never tried this, but I think it might work, ok in internet explorer go to view and then source. Look for <embed src = "fileyouwant.swf"> It might have way more things in the tag besides embed src, for example quality.

If you have any troubles. PM me and I can talk you through it on msn or ichat.

edit: I just tried it and it works.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
It's easiest to do it with Internet Explorer..
You find out name of it source and drag it download manager.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Some Flash movies are multiple swf's that can be loaded in layers on top of the original at run time. So if you just download the source swf found in the html code you won't be getting the whole "cartoon" or "website" or whatever swf your trying to download. THere are ways to find out what the names and relative locations of these files are.... but do you really want to hack this guys flash movie??? Its really considered bad ettiquette to do that to flash websites in the webdesign business, though people do it anyway:rolleyes: ......

ALot of times the creator does not want the file to be downloaded and possibly distributed, or even forced open (some shareware programs will allow you to extract a locked swf file and import it back into Flash for editing). I know i lock and hide some of my swf files as best i can on the server.

Had they wanted to be distributed they would have saved it as an executable for both mac and windows and made it available to download.

EDIT: <stepping off my soap box />:)

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Thirteenva, I have no intention of a distributing or posting any one's flash swf's on my site that aren't my own. I'm a design student and I'm traveling to see a few friends that don't have internet capabilities who I want to convince to look into it. (in the boonies). This is not for any commercial gain on my own part, and I completely respect the artistic integrity of a flash cartoon on the web.

thanks everyone else, I'll try the Netscape and Explorer thing and see what I come up with.

i'm out.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Wasn't trying to imply that you'd use it for commercial gain. Sorry i had the urge to lecture this morning, don't ask me why.......

all is cool...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.