how do I download latest OS X El Capitan installer app?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrjayviper, Jan 20, 2016.

1. mrjayviper macrumors regular

So I just reinstalled yosemite (fresh install) on my MBPr yesterday and I want to redownload the latest El Capitan installer app. I have downloaded this installer app many months ago when El Capitan first came out.

I am signed in to the Mac AppStore. When I click on the download button, all I see is a spinning thing on the top-left of the AppStore. I know from experience I should see the installer app being downloaded into Applications. I don't see that at all.

Any ideas? thanks :)

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Wait a while, sometimes it can take quite some time to finish downloading. If you still have an old copy of the El Capitan installer on your computer you may do better by deleting that one first.

3. mrjayviper thread starter macrumors regular

As I said above, downloading the OS X installer often results in an app showing up inside Applications. I don't see anything like that.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Go to the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store app and download it there. It will always download the latest released version.

5. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I recognized the same. If you try to download the installer again not in the purchased section the wheel is spinning forever and nothing happens.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Make sure you do not have another copy of the installer anywhere on your computer. If you do, that one will be the one that's getting updated, regardless of where it's located, and you won't see it in Applications.

7. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I have an El Capitan installer renamed in my Dropbox folder and downloading it again is greyed out in the purchases. So it won't update the installer, if it's anywhere on a mounted drive. It has to be deleted completely or moved to an external drive what it not connected, if you want to download the newer version.

8. mrjayviper thread starter macrumors regular

this suggestion worked for me. thanks :)