How do I drag a folder to become a shortcut on my dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zen Desk Pro, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Zen Desk Pro macrumors member

Hey guys, I have three questions. If you can help with any of them (or all), it'd be incredibly appreciated. My questions:

1.) How do I drag a folder shortcut to my dock?

I want to drag a folder (such as my documents or my pictures) to the main portion of my dock and make a shortcut. Is this possible? Or can only applications go there?

2.) How do I change the icon of a folder to something more personalized?

Is there any way I can change the icon of a standard blue folder to something else? Such as a .PNG image I have?

3.) How do I change the icon of a dock icon and replace it with a .PNG image I have?

Thanks, guys!

2. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

Folders go on the right side of the Dock (or the bottom, if you have the Dock pinned to a side.) Applications go on the right (or top.)

To change the icon, copy the the image (Open in Preview or whatever, Select All, Copy; don't copy the image file in the Finder) select the original folder in the Finder and choose File > Get Info. In the Info window, click on the small icon near the top of the Info window (not the large preview icon in the center) and choose Edit > Paste.

Once you've done that, to show a docked folder as its icon, control-click on the folder in the Dock, and choose "Display as Folder"