How do I edit a movie saved in Mpg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abr5, Mar 5, 2009.

1. abr5 macrumors newbie

I would like to know if I can use Imovie to edit a clip I have saved in Mpg. If this is not possible, what format shall I have to be able to use Imovie to edit / cut certain clips.

Many thanks in advance to the response to this questions.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you need to convert it to mp4 or DV first. Use MPEG StreamClip.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Can't it also be done directly in QuickTime player? I mean if the edits aren't too elaborate and all. ;)

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Quicktime pro ... but you won't get any transitions or effects if OP needs those.

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Actually they removed the ability to "edit" the MPEG files in an earlier version. Could have been as early as the transition to QT5, though I don't remember exactly...

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you have Quicktime Pro you can do simple cut-and-paste edits with MPEG videos. But with MPEG its very likely that you'll get no SOUND on your video! Oops!

Go back and follow the advice about using MPEG streamclip...once you convert it to DV you'll be fine.

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I notice that we give the exact opposite information. Shall we try to find out why that is?

QTPro 7.3.0, opening an MPEG file disables all edit options in the File-menu and it shows no selection markers in the timeline field.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't have any MPEG files to check, but are you using an MPEG1 or MPEG2 file ... and if it is 2, do you have the QT MPEG2 add in installed? I think that would make a huge difference.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, the problem is that there are a million ways to configure an MPEG file, and I foolishly thought of only one kind... the ones that a still-camera of mine makes.

I want back and checked and yes, many other MPEG files I have work like you described here. So the answer is that it could work either way, depending on where the file came from. (I don't have one of those files here to check, it's even possible its some other format telling the computer it's an MPEG when it's not. I'll have to check when I get home later.)

At any rate, everyone has told this guy to convert the file, so hopefully he's followed our advice and none of this matters.

10. jackerin macrumors 6502a

It seems like some people in this thread are thinking of MPEG as MPEG-1 and 2, and others are also including MPEG-4. (I was thinking of 1/2.)

Quicktime can edit MP4 files, no problem.

As far as I know, Quicktime can not edit MPEG-1/2.

Newer cameras often record video in MP4 format, so that's easy to open and edit in Quicktime.

-QuickTime: About using MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 media

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

To me "MPEG" or "MPG" equals the latest and greatest commonly used version and that's MPEG-4, right? MP4 edits (cut, copy, paste, trim, merge, publish, brightness, color, contrast, tint, scale, volume, balance, base, treble, pitch-shift, flip, rotate, de-interlace, annotate, alpha-mask blend and comp, and re-time) fine in QT Pro Player 7.6 (472). Smooth as hell in fact. ;)

I dunno if I would suggest using it professionally but then again no professional that I know of edits in MPEG - any version. If someone just needs to make some quick changes (limited to the above mentioned operations) then the QuickTime player (all recent versions I know of) can be put to very good use.

Also if his files are not in MP4 or an editable format then he can use the QT Player's Export feature to save it in that or any of several other, editable format before attempting to edit.

12. jackerin macrumors 6502a

As I also stated above.

Unless it is MPEG-1 or 2, in which case he would need to use MPEG Streamclip (and the MPEG-2 component if needed).