How do I edit a MOVIE?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I have some movies on my hard drive that have some content in them that I don't want my kids to see. For example, I'd like them to see a particular movie but there is a scene in it with some cursing that I would like to edit out. Which program can do this and how do I do it?

I have iMovie and iMovie HD. Which one will do the job? All I want to do is edit out some scenes. Can you help me??

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You may be able to do the editing with iMovie. It may take some experimenting, trial and error. See if this site with tutorial helps any. (They're not using iMovie.)

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/47641p1.html

You might also do some Google searching for tutorials. If the movies you have on your hard drive are commercial copies and not home movies you made, you should be aware of restrictions with respect to copying and or altering the content.

Regards.

3. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i don't think this is exactly (or even close) to what you're looking for, but it is interesting and along the same lines. Now you can get dvd players that filter out bad scenes in movies. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4780312/

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

5. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

QuickTime pro can cut copy and paste. I suggest that before using iMovie. With iMovie you would have to import the whole movie, edit and then export it. Use QuickTime pro and you can just open it.

Hope that helps!

6. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

When I was in high school we watched Romeo and Juliet (1968). During the scene with nudity our teacher casually walked up to the screen and popped a big, hand-made OOPS sign over the screen for a moment. Something like that with clever mute button use might work for you. :)

7. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Wasn't quite what I was looking for.....

Yes the movies are currently on my hard drive.