How do I empty my trash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chameleon81, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

I deleted some huge data from my external drive which I use for time machine. It should be around 80 GB. I tried to empty my trash I took close to 2 hours to clean 1% of it so I canceled it. Is there any fast way to empty the trash

2. Neo110503 macrumors regular

were you doing a secure empty trash? They usually take longer. But since it is such a large amount and it is on an external that is probably right for the time it will take.

3. allegrocm macrumors member

Also check your finder preferences->advanced, and see if "Empty Trash Securely" is checked.

ken

4. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that was the problem. Thanks a lot.

I think you should be able to set up time machine so that it deletes old backups!

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think you may be doing it the hard way. Deleting old TM backups takes only seconds and the files don't end up in the trash.
    To do this just open up TM and highlight the file you want deleted permanently. Select "Action" in the Finder toolbar and choose the option "Delete All Backups of xx..file".
    After putting in your password the backup files delete and don't end up in the Trash.

I don't think it would be beneficial for TM to auto delete backups (outside of the drive being full) as this could be disastrous.

6. sharper65 macrumors newbie

delete trash

I am trying to delete trash that has time machine backup in it but some other files from external hard drive too. Should "empty trash securely" be checked or not checked in advanced. So far either way does not work.
    My time machine was unable to backup totally due to lack of enough space so I do not know if that has caused this? Helppppppp please.

7. wmw71190 macrumors member

Deleting backups within Time Machine is really buggy, so I just delete them manually. When I ran into this problem (the 2 hours for 1% problem), I found one solution that always works:

1. If trash is open, close it.
    2. Hold option and click the trash
    3. KEEP HOLDING OPTION
    4. Click the Empty button (you shouldn't need to confirm that you want to delete it)
    5. Let it run for a few hours.
    6. When the progress bar is gone, go back into trash, and empty normally.

And now your files should be gone! Hope this helps :)