How do I enable 802.11g channel 14?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piwi, Jun 13, 2010.

1. piwi macrumors regular

Hello,
    All channels are jammed where I live and channel 14 is the one with the less overlapping.
    It is enabled on my AP but not on my airport card, how can I turn it on? I bought my Mac in Canada but I know live in Japan where channel 14 can be used.
    Thanks for your help!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you change your location in the System Preferences, the channels should adjust automatically.

3. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I tried that but it won't see my APN on channel 14 even if I put location as Japan (and get all the dates displayed in Japanese).

4. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

Here is what I found.
    I have a Tomato router. If I set it to Japan and 802.11d regulatory mode then the Mac switches to the JP locale.
    The only thing is my building is full of expats and the AP broadcasting on the first few channels of the spectrum have a locale set to US.
    Airport sets it's locale by querying the first few AP it sees. This results in the locale being set to US. Then it can't see my network on channel 14. If I set my channel to 1, then it sees it and changes to JP.
    What a stupid way to implement this! Your locale depends on whatever locale the first router of the spectrum says it is.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That seems to be correct; I bought my MBP in the US, and the locale is usually set to NZ (I live in New Zealand). I'm currently in England and the locale has changed to GB.

6. piwi thread starter macrumors regular

That's a bummer for me because I can't use channel 14 :(