How do i enable double tap to drag???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kashyap02004, Sep 22, 2011.

1. kashyap02004 macrumors member

How do I enable double tap to drag on OS X 10.7???

I find the MBP touchpad very hard to press. Especially pressing it while dragging is really annoying. So I enable the "tap to click." With OS X 10.6 and even after upgrading to 10.7, I was able to double tap to drag/move/select text. But today I did the fresh install of OS X 10.7 and now I can't do it anymore. I have to physically press the touchpad to drag/move/select text.

Any Idea how to fix this???

--Kash.

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

System Preferences>Universal Access>Mouse & Trackpad>Trackpad Options>Check the "Dragging" checkbox.

I have no idea why they buried that so deep, but there it is.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap that was pretty stupid from Apple!

4. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Got it. It works!!! Thank You very much. I appreciate the help.

5. nmoses11 macrumors newbie

Fix doesn't work for Mavericks 10.9

I don't have a Universal Access option. Please help. I wish i could regress to get that feature back.

----------

Thanks to these guys:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23544389#23544389

Settings - Accessibility - Mouse & Trackpad - Trackpad Options - Check 'Enable Dragging'

Bingobango!

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Thanks for this.
    Been wondering if this were possible.

7. tomibgt, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

tomibgt macrumors newbie

Three finger drag

I think Apple's new concept of dragging with the trackpad is to use three fingers. You can find this in the System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click. For some weird reason, this isn't enabled by default either. It kind of does make more sense than the traditional double-tap:

If you wouldn't need to consider multi-tap gestures at all, you can increase the system response time to taps.

But still it is not as good:

Sometimes your dragging doesn't go far enough, before you reach the end of the track pad. If you are using the three-finger-drag, the files you are dragging will be most likely dropped to your desktop, instead of the folder, trash can, or where ever you were dragging them to – possibly even worse. With double-tap-drag you just lift your finger, move it to the opposite side of the trackpad and continue the dragging.

(Edit: ) Apparently you can continue dragging files with the three-finger-drag just as with double-tap-drag with drag-lock. You have to release the file from drag with a single click.

With double-tap-drag you can also finger paint with a more natural gesture than the three-finger-drag, for example in Photoshop.