How do I enable multitasking and wallpapers on jailbroken second generation iPt?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by 0dev, Aug 3, 2010.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I heard you can enable iOS 4 multiasking and homescreen wallpapers on unsupported devices once you jailbreak. I have one here jailbroken with JailbreakMe, what is it I install to do it? Is there a special repo I have to add to Cydia?

Thanks!

2. celticpride678

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

4. Aero26 macrumors regular

I'll wait for an update. I'm all that FTPing and OpenSSH would most def brick my iPod.

5. markojug macrumors regular

Actually, if your iPod is an MB model, jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.5 and they have an option for wallpapers and multitasking.

6. kepner macrumors 6502

Just a heads up: I enabled multitasking on my 2nd gen, and I noticed a slow down. It's particularly slow when switching to an app that has been open recently. It seems like the 2nd gen Touch is taking a long time to "unfreeze" the saved state of the app. (So, I can understand why Apple decided to not enable it on the 2nd gen.)

7. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I have a JB 2G iPT running iOS4 with multi-tasking turned on, and I, too, have noticed a significant slow down with it. Even with simple behavior, like turning a card over in solitaire (yes, I admit I do play solitaire on my iPT) can take a second or two to respond to my touch.

Given the fact that the one app that I most wanted to be able to run in the background, the audio streaming app from my public radio station, isn't updated for iOS4, so it won't run in the background, I'm seriously considering reverting to 3.1.3.

Anyone want to offer arguments for not reverting?

8. zjzjn1 macrumors member

9. celticpride678

Just disable multitasking and see if performance improves.

10. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Sure, but what's the point, as multitasking was the ONLY reason that I JB my iPT. If I'm going to disable multitasking, why not just go back to the officially supported version of the OS for my device?

11. kepner macrumors 6502

Why not disable Apple's multitasking and use Backgrounder (+ Music Controls if it supports your music app of choice)?

12. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

This might be worth looking into, although Music Controls doesn't work with the public radio app.

13. kepner macrumors 6502

Wait… what? iOS 4.0 is officially supported on all devices except the first-gen iPhone and the first-gen iPod Touch (and the iPad, for now). How'd you install it if it wasn't officially supported?

By downgrading, you're limiting the number of App Store apps you're able to use, as more and more developers require 4.0. Also, even though you don't get Multitasking, you're missing out on other new features and bug fixes that came with 4.0.

14. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Point. So, I'm not necessarily looking at 3.1.3, but simply reverting to a non-JB version of 4.

15. kepner macrumors 6502

Absolutely. That makes more sense. I would stick with 4, and if you're not interested in being jailbroken, go ahead and restore in iTunes to unjailbreak.

16. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Yeah, my point was to ask if anyone had any arguments as to why I should stay JB given that multitasking needs to be turned off.

It sounds like Backgrounder might be an option. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

17. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

BTW, I found a Cydia app called zToggle which automates the process of turning multitaking and homescreen wallpapers on and off, you can get it from the ModMyi repo :)

18. Aero26 macrumors regular

It says using it on iPods is at our own risk as it's iPhone native. Did you have any problems?

Tried it. Wallpaper toggle doesn't work.

19. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

...and if you add
    Code:
    <key>homescreen-wallpaper</key>
    <true/>
    ...you can even set the wallpaper via the system preferences. Winterboard isn't compatible with iOS4 yet, nor needed anymore.

20. celticpride678

If you use Apple's implementation of home screen wallpapers on unsupported devices, performance is terrible.

21. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

<key>homescreen-wallpaper</key>
    <true/>

does this allow you to choose and set wallpapers? or only turn on the default WP?

ALso, if i synced and then restored, would i keep the ability to change and set wallpapers? or would it go back to being itself.

PS: I did the same with battery percentage, and it kept my setting - though it left me no option to turn it off or anything like that... lol.

22. celticpride678

That will allow you to change wallpapers just as if it were a feature supported on the second gen iPod touch.

If you restored, you would loose the ability to use home screen wallpapers

23. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

The text stayed grey, which makes it a bit harder to see with the wallpaper, but other than that it worked fine for me. Despite the description, the app has a "iPod touch 2G" part.