How do I erase(format)A HD that was used as a starup disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by efedor, Apr 16, 2009.

1. efedor macrumors regular

I installed an apex ssd and I moved the old ssd into my optidrive.I used carboncopy and it worked well, Now I want to use the old ssd to store stuff and to install xp. When I go to disk utility it tells me that"its a start up disk and cant be erased" How can I erase it?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Have you tried to reformat outside of OS X, off an OS X install disc?

3. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Need to boot up again and hold the option key and select the new boot drive. It sounds like your booting on the old drive. Once you are in the the new drive and running than go to disk utility and erase and partition the old drive.

5. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

6. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

7. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

How do I go about installing win xp in that second drive? When I use botcamp it THINKS I want to partition the boot up disk but I dont I want to install xp on the second drive, So it would be leopard on one ssd and xp on the other.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you NEED Mac OS in order to have windows. You can't have one be OS X and the other JUST be windows.

Your option is to install OSX, then partition while keeping the OSX partition as small as possible.

9. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

Umm I understand what your saying....dang thats gonna take at least 10gig just for o/s x. Sad

10. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

That sounds like the way to go is partition that second drive in two. Now I am not sure because I don't use windows but can another software program like Fusion or something actually be used on that second drive by itself. Maybe something to look into

11. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

It would not allow me to install leopard on my second drive It would only allow me to install it in my bootup disk only. So out of frustration I reinstalled the old 320gb that allready has xp in it:(