How do I exclude VMWare Fusion from backing up on Time Machine if I use a bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oceanbaypark, Jul 28, 2008.

1. oceanbaypark macrumors newbie

Whenever I use Windows through VMWare Fusion, my time machine always backs up approximately 512 megabytes at the next scheduled backup (even if I don't modify any files). I think I understand that basically it can't differentiate changes within the file, thus backing up the whole thing, but, how can I prevent this from happening (several times a day it is backing up 512 megabytes, so soon I will run out of space on my external hard drive).

I'm assuming that the 512 megabytes is no coincidence given its the amount of virtual memory I have allocated to VMWare Fusion (seen under settings).

I've searched through all of the forums on this issue, but since I am using VMWare Fusion to boot a BootCamp partition, there was never any .vmdk file created in my Documents folder that I can exclude.

My question is - what file do I exclude to prevent Time Machine from backing this up?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

sys prefs >> times machine >>options >> select virtual machine.

3. oceanbaypark thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and it still seems to be doing it.

Is there any other way that works?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

no there are only other ways that don't work :rolleyes:

(I have used that emoticon too many times today)

If that didn't work it's not your virtual machine that's being backed up. Reassess the situation.

EDIT: oh hey, I just read your first post again. I'm 95-100% sure that the memory you have allocated to your virtual machine is not what is being backed up. Try again, Bud.