How do I export Folders from Mac Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrmember, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mrmember macrumors member

I'm being sort of forced to quit using the MacMail App because Comcast blocks it's ports from time to time and then I can't use the email program.

I hate to resort to using Comcast's email program but.....does anyone here know how I can get my Folders from MacMail into Comcast's email program?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you talking about Comcast's Webmail client?

Also, ISPs do not randomly block ports. I'm guessing that you are trying to use a laptop from various and sundry locations to access your email. The issue is usually outgoing mail (SMTP) server Port 25. It is standard practice to block access via Port 25 to your ISP's SMTP server. However, access to Port 587 which requires a password is usually allowed.

3. mrmember thread starter macrumors member

MisterMe, you are very smart indeed. Really. Yes, I'm using my Macbook but just at home. And you're right, it's the outgoing email...I can't send it. Comcast said they couldn't help because they said the settings were right so it must be Mac Mail that's causing the problem, which they can't fix.

The first helper at Comcast said the right Port number was 995 so I left it alone and didn't change it. Then it started 'sending' again.... Then today it happened again. The next fellow at Comcast said to change that Port number to 587, which I did, but it didn't help.

This problem doesn't occur frequently but often enough for me to not want to deal with it any more (once every 3 or 4 months). I don't understand the Port 25 you talked about. Do you think there's a permanent fix for this? And...thanks for your good reply!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My first advice to you is to use the email settings found on your ISP's tech support web site. Port 995 is the SSL-POP3 port. It is the port dedicated to secure incoming mail, not outgoing mail. The SSL-SMTP port, the secure port number for outgoing mail is Port 465.

Word to the Wise: It raises suspicions when a poster is overly thankful for information that is clearly incomplete or just plain wrong.

5. mrmember thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying you think I was overly thankful for the ignorance of the Comcast support people? They couldn't help me at all, and unlike in years past, they didn't mention an outgoing Port and its no longer showing up in the Preferences panel, so I couldn't change that number if I wanted to.

6. ksgordo macrumors newbie

A workaround

I've posted this before on other threads here at MacRumors. My company offers a virtual SMTP service that we call Loa PowerTools. It's a tiny app that you run on your laptop and that looks to Mail like an SMTP server running locally but connects using a secure port to a real SMTP server running elsewhere. It has been discussed at various places around the web recently, but most completely at a blog here and another one here.