How do I export video w/ alpha from FCP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peete, Jan 12, 2011.

1. peete macrumors newbie

hi everybody, thanks for taking the time to read this-

so i've created outlines for a bunch of animated characters- 24 frames per second, each frame is a different psd file with black outlines. I'm animating over live action footage, similar in look and style to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I brought them in to final cut and edited them nicely (i applied some motion effects, changing the position on a few frames) so i can work with them in after effects to track them to some handheld shots.

What i need to know how to do is to export these outlines from FCP to After Effects with an alpha background- I did the export with the animation codec and the millions+ option, but when i brought them into after effects, the frames are all black! (as they are in FCP when i get rid of the shot beneath them...(which i'm doing because i just want to edit the outlines in after effects, not them on top of the footage))

If anyone could help me, it would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks!!!!!

peete

2. peete thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooooo ok so i figured it out and thought I'd post the solution in case any one else has this problem:

In final cut I went into Effects, Matte, and applied the Image Mask effect to all the frames. Opened the filter in viewer, clicked the tab for Channel and changed it from Luminance to Alpha.

Exported the sequence as quicktime movie, changed the setting to custom, the compressor to animation, then in advanced settings changed depth to millions of colors+

imported into after effects, straight-unmatted, dropped over footage