How do I find out my hard drive's cycle count?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by k.na, Apr 9, 2012.

1. k.na macrumors member

k.na

I just upgraded my hard drive to the Western Digital Scorpio Black and have read reports on high cycle counts. Some people have been installing hdapm but I'd like to hold off on doing so unless I have the same problem, which I'm not sure how to determine.

Is there a simple app/utility that let's me see the cycle load count in layman's terms? I installed SMART Utility but could not understand the information as they display it.

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

I would just keep regular backups and not worry about your Hard Drive.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, this place never ceases to amaze me.

Don't worry about it OP, I'm sure your hard drive will be fine.

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Agreed. Hard drives are disposable at this point.

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

6. k.na thread starter macrumors member

k.na

I hope so. Usually I would not be paranoid but because I had a huge issue when I first upgraded (comp. was super slow. I found out that the 2009 MBP's have an issue with the EFI 1.7 firmware and upgraded hard drives). I had to downgrade to EFI 1.6 and now everything's running fine, but in the back of my mind I'm worried that the downgrade is only a bandaid and my drive will crap out on me.

My hard drive literally holds my life. Even though I try to make backups, I'm not always on top of it.

7. negativzero macrumors 6502

Might be a good time to buy a harddisk and set it aside exclusively for Time Machine only :)

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You are asking for it. Keep on top of your backups. Drives are cheap enough; get one on your network and use it with Time Machine. It is pretty idiot proof.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Then you have no security no matter what the cycle count says. Long term wear and tear isn't the only cause of data loss. Face it. You've set yourself up for potential data loss. Just invest in a drive for time machine and have it back up nightly.

10. Floydier macrumors newbie

How do I find out my hard drive's cycle count?

I hope so. Normally I would not be paranoid, but because I have a big problem when I upgraded (comp. is super slow. I found that in 2009 had a problem with the MBP EFI Firmware 1.7 and upgraded the hard drive). I had to downgrade to a EFI 1.6 and now everything works fine, but in the back of my mind, I worried that a downgrade is only a Band-Aid and my car is going to be **** on me.

Hard disk I really take my life. Even if I try to do a backup, I'm not always on it.

:(