How do I find out my Mail Server and Port?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soundhound, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I use MacMail (I guess it's called mobile me mail now? It's the regular Mail program in OSX. I have a mobile me account etc.

I have a Drobo backup device and want to set it up to send me alerts when there are problems. To do this it asks for the Mail Server and Port. Anyone know how I find out what to put in those two areas?

thanks!

2. SDub90, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

SDub90 macrumors 6502a

If I recall correctly...
    Server:
    smtp.me.com
    Port:

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks! I looked up in preferences and it shows the outgoing amil server as:
    smtp:me.com: followed by my email address (minus the .mac or .me)
    Does that seem right?

For port is shows 993, but that is grayed out and the box next to is is checked, which says : Use SSL

Does this mean I can't give Drobo a port number?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, the application is Mail, not MacMail. Do not conflate Mail with MobileMe. MobileMe is a paid Apple service. You may or may not use it with Mail.

As for ports, they are not exclusive to a particular device on your LAN. If a particular email service requires Port 993, then it is likely that every email client on every device must communicate with that service through Port 993.

As for MobileMe's port, all you should have to do with it in Mail is to enter your username and password. Mail already knows the problem settings for me.com email accounts. Don't mess with it. If you have problems, then you might want to post a question here before you totally futz it up.

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not changing any settings in Mail at all. I'm just trying to find out what my Mail Server and Port are, so that I can enter them in the Drobo software for sending me alerts.