How do I find out what php version my imac is running?

tech0925

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Well the title says it all. The reason I ask is b/c I am studying PHP via a text book for PHP 5.0.. I am using text wrangler as my editor. I noticed that when I plug in some codes from the book I get errors like this:

Notice: Undefined index: add in /Library/WebServer/Documents/test/untitled.php on line 35

Notice: Undefined index: update in /Library/WebServer/Documents/test/untitled.php on line 49

Notice: Undefined index: clear in /Library/WebServer/Documents/test/untitled.php on line 65

However, when I upload it to my hosting account via Just Host's cpanel, I do not get the errors. I know Just Host's current PHP version installed on the server is 5.2.14. I am assuming I must be running something older on my mac. Any help with this and how to ugrade it to the latest version would be great. I have an iMac that is only about 1 1/2 years old. Currently running version 10.5.8. Figured I needed to note that. Thanks

tech0925

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
create a file with .php extension with:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

in it.
Thank You!

Now I am confused :confused:! It is running the same PHP version.

PHP Version 5.2.14

System Darwin 71-8-19-186.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Build Date Oct 6 2010 16:55:34
Configure Command '/SourceCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-44.6/php/configure' '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--with-ldap=/usr' '--with-kerberos=/usr' '--enable-cli' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr' '--enable-trans-sid' '--with-xml' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbregex' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-sockets' '--with-iodbc=/usr' '--with-curl=/usr' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--sysconfdir=/private/etc' '--with-mysql-sock=/var/mysql' '--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-xsl=/usr' '--without-pear'
Server API Apache 2.0 Handler
Virtual Directory Support disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path /etc
Loaded Configuration File /private/etc/php.ini
Scan this dir for additional .ini files (none)
additional .ini files parsed (none)
PHP API 20041225
PHP Extension 20060613
Zend Extension 220060519
Debug Build no
Thread Safety disabled
Zend Memory Manager enabled
IPv6 Support enabled
Registered PHP Streams https, ftps, compress.zlib, php, file, data, http, ftp
Registered Stream Socket Transports tcp, udp, unix, udg, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls
Registered Stream Filters zlib.*, convert.iconv.*, string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed

Zend logo This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies

Why would I get the errors then? Do you see anything here causing it? Also, please let me know if there is any info here that I should not be sharing with others. LOL

Attachments

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
These are not errors there warnings. What it is telling you is the variables add, update, and clear are empty. This is due to them not being used, though you may be using them at a later stage when your developing.

Your host will be set up not to show warnings, the best way to get around this on your local machine is to define the variable as null.

PHP:
$create = NULL;

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Put that same
Code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
file on your host, and check what your host's error_reporting value is set to. Change the php.ini file on your Mac to match then restart Apache.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Put that same
Code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
file on your host, and check what your host's error_reporting value is set to. Change the php.ini file on your Mac to match then restart Apache.
This is not really the best advice, you do want to be developing with all errors on show in order to debug code.

tech0925

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
This is not really the best advice, you do want to be developing with all errors on show in order to debug code.
Thanks, I have my side set to show errors. It makes more since to me. Like you said, that way you can figure out what problems you have and if the script stops.