How do I find out which service/program is accessing my NAS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Renderz, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a serious problem with my Mac Pro.

Whenever I connect to my Synology DS1010+ from my Mac Pro, it causes a lot of activity on the NAS that renders the Synology to the point of unusable.

I have connected to the same NAS from my Macbook Pro using the same login creditials but this does not cause the very extensive amount of disk activity from the DS1010+

So, I need to know what, from the Mac Pro, is causing/accessing the NAS. Is there an program to determine this?

Many thanks, I really hope you can help so I can finally put the DS1010+ to good use.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Is the NAS set as a Time Machine backup?

I don't think you can do it by default, but there are ways around that.

3. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

The Nas is not setup as a time machine. I noticed that when I log in as a guest account on my Mac Pro (so limited functionality) I can get my full Gigiabit speeds back and there is no weird activity on the Synology DS1010.

So I conclude there something NASTY running on my main profile account, but I don't know how to identify it.

Can anyone help? Otherwise I either sell my DS1010, or reinstall my Mac Pro, neither of which I want to do.

Many thanks.

4. Ganesha macrumors regular

My off the top of my head guess is Spotlight, try adding it to the excluded list after you connected your NAS and see if the activity drops.

As for seeing what is accessing it you can try the 'lsof' command. This will list which Applications have which 'files' open. I suggesting greping the output so you filter down to the Volume level. (i.e. lsof | grep '(Path to NAS)')