How do I find the password for a airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tman08, Aug 3, 2008.

1. tman08 macrumors member

I just moved in with my mom for a couple weeks. They have an airport extreme for their wireless network. The problem is they had the geek squad at bestbuy do in home setup and they don't know the password. The password is saved in my stepdad's macbook pro so it isn't really an issue for him. But now that I have my MBP here I want to use the network too. I'm not familiar with the airport extreme so I don't know how to look at it's settings and password. It's setup and connected to a windows XP computer if that helps. Thanks.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If it's stored on your step-father's Macbook Pro you can go into his Keychain and find the password.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Get your S-D to change the password - from his machine - to something you can both use. He should write the appropriate passwords down in his AEBS user's manual.

(PS: We don't do discussions of cracking passwords here on MR. Your intentions may be honorable -- but some people's aren't)

4. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

Great idea, never thought of that. So he just needs to enter in his administration password for the MBP and it should reveal all of his passwords?

He doesn't need to change it, he just needs to figure out what it is.

PS: I wouldn't say I'm "cracking a password." I'm trying make use of the one setup in my mom's home.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Well if all else failed, you could just reset the Airport Extreme, then load up AirPort Utility and configure it again.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yes, sir

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree with CanadaRAM. The reason we don't discuss hacking/cracking/revealing password methods in this forum is we have no way of knowing that a poster is who they claim to be. We could be giving assistance to someone who stole a Mac and is trying to break into it, or giving assistance to someone trying to break into a network that they don't have rights to. It's not a reflection on the OP; it's just that we can't be certain people are who they say they are.