How do I find the time an SMS message was sent to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Markyyy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Markyyy macrumors regular

Hey all.

Does anyone know if it's possible to find the actual time an SMS message was sent to me? I just see the time when it is received by me. My phone ran out of charge during the night. I've just plugged it in and received a message that must have been sent while it was turned off. The timestamp was the current time, not a past time from last night.

Thanks for any help

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As far as I'm aware, that information is not transmitted with the message and it is therefore not possible for your phone to know when the message was sent.

3. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Look at your carriers phone bill. Or even user their site to check messages (assuming all allow this, I would think they would by now). It will show what time the message was received there.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, that's the thing, received vs. sent? I guess on the carrier side it would likely be more immediate as far as matching up when it was sent, but still, not necessarily the timing of the same things.

There's probably nothing similar to that on the iMessage side.

5. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

It should be fairly close in time vs. received/sent because even though your phone was off the message hit their system.

As far as iMessage, I believe there isn't a way to tell. They don't show as messages on carrier bills but instead show in the data pool since Apple handles iMessage.