How do I fix my mac; startup issue?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by justinc11, Jan 10, 2010.

1. justinc11 macrumors newbie

I am currently running 10.4 Tiger on my mac and when I try to boot i get a picture of a globe and then a question mark and the finder icon blink in a folder. Then it acts as if it will start up and instead go to a blinking black screen that says:
    "dyld: Library not loaded" /usr/lib/libconv.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /bin/sh
    Reason: Incompatible library version: sh requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libi .2.dylib provides version 5.0.0"
    This probably was caused because I'm trying to upgrade it to Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 from and external hard drive.

I cannot reinstall 10.4 Tiger because the DVD drive will not open.

I cannot enter safe mode either.

Mac will not boot with or without external drive. When I try to boot up in safe mode it shows text with a power button in the background and tells me to restart. When I hold Option on boot to select what to boot from and select the Internal Drive with tiger on it, it goes straight to the blinking black screen.

2. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

If you hold the mouse button down during boot, the DVD drive should open for you.

3. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

You need to reload an OS.

To eject to DVD/CD in your drive, reboot and immediately hold down the mouse button and hold it down until the disc ejects.

Terry

4. justinc11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the 10.4 disk in.. is there any way to re-install it without losing everything? or not re-install?

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Archive and Install. It should be one of the installation options.

6. justinc11 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.. worked fine..
    does anyone know how to upgrade to 10.5 from an external drive?
    I open the .iso file from the external drive and then it shows it as if it were the Mac OS X Install DVD. I click Install and then "Restart." It restarts and then does nothing. What do I have to do to get it to work?

7. chown33 macrumors 604

You're saying that you have a ".iso" file of Mac OS 10.5 Leopard on an external drive? Like from a torrent or something?

A normal Leopard distro will be on a bootable DVD. Anything else and you're on your own.