How do i fix this??? CPU+Heatsink Issue + Restart message!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alphadog111, Apr 16, 2011.

1. alphadog111 macrumors member

**Kernal Panic Issue I THINK?***

Hi I am having issues with my White Apple Macbook 13" 2.4ghz late 2008 model...One of the macbook memory slots is damaged but the other one is good...It runs fine and all before until now... How do I fix this and salvage this mac? I took apart my macbook and I found out that the adhesive on the macbook CPU + Heatsink is look...I can not screw in any of the screws to the heat sink as it does not fit because it dosent seem the case has any screw holes in it ( I just replaced the bottom housing)...

What do I need to buy the make the gray adhesive under the heat sink and on the CPU it self to make it stick? Will it fix the "shut down / restart " (kernal panic screen issue? )

**I have attached pictures for you guys to see. Let me know what I need to do...thank you..**

Attached Files:

2. FiremanMike macrumors regular

You should be able to buy heatsink gel at any serious computer store (not best buy, et al). Please be forewarned, I've never personally done that, but I know that stuff is out there.

3. biohead macrumors 6502

The stuff used on the heatsink is NOT an adhesive. It is just a compound that maximises the heat transfers between CPU and heatsink. The heatsink MUST be held down with the screws.

From the looks of it, you've either got a damaged bottom case (screw mount knocked off) or a bottom case for the wrong model (slightly different fittings).

4. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

Is the missing screws and the compound thats causing the "error restart message" when i load the desktop? How do I get the compound to reattach it on the CPU?

5. bootloader macrumors newbie

i myself had this problem once in the past, i fixed it by using a small amount of superglue on the edges of the processor, just enough so it sticks firmly in place but not too much that it blocks the thermal paste between the heatsink and processor

6. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

will that fix the issue message that I keep getting? When I boot to the desktop it always says " restart" with a error message that looks like a shutdown button..

7. bootloader macrumors newbie

it will sure fix it if the kernel panics were caused by overheating, which is likely, i would give it a shot, if that doesnt fix it then you know that the problem lies somewhere else!

8. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

do you know what I have to type in google to find which one I would need to buy? I dunno what the name of the product is... thank you.

9. bootloader macrumors newbie