How do I fool XP into thinking this disc is in the drive, when it's not?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lurchdubious, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I have a CD-ROM that came with a textbook and it only works with PC. I have just installed VMWare Fusion and XP Home and it's running fine, but I would like to NOT have to travel around with this disc in my optical drive all the time. Is there a way I can copy it to the windows desktop and fool it into thinking the disc is installed?

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

It's called virtual drive and you can emulate one using Daemon Tools Lite (free) or Alcohol 120%. You need to first create an image of your CD though.

3. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

ok, so do I make a dmg in Leopard, then just transfer it over to XP? If it's in my shared folder on the XP desktop, will that work, or do I need to completely move the file to Windblows?

I'll go look for a virtual drive now...

4. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

What about Gizmo Drive?

5. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

Why would you want dmg image? From what I understand you want to use the virtual drive and virtual disc under XP, so dom isn't a good idea. Just make into an ISO image using something like MagicISO, then mount this under XP using a virtual drive program.

Yes, Gizmo drive works but from what I can tell Daemon Tools is more popular and it's quite good from my experience (free as well). I don't have much experience with Gizmo Drive so I can't say anything for that.

6. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Oh ok. Thanks for the help. I found Gizmo on downloads.com and it had decent reviews so I'm creating the iso right now. If I'm not 100% satisfied then I'll grab Daemon. Thanks again!

7. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

no probs! hope everything works out for you.

8. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

ok, need some more help. I can't figure out how to open the iso/mount drive quickly. Is there a shortcut? Like if I have an iso on my image & I can just click on that to start the program? This is driving me nuckin' futs.