Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I've got it enabled but not everything has the cloud icon beside the song name. Its been days and I only have a few albums.

I did stop and start iCloud music a couple of times to test things so maybe that has to do with it?

Maybe should disable iCloud Music and then delete my music in Apple Music then re-add?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've got it enabled but not everything has the cloud icon beside the song name. Its been days and I only have a few albums.

I did stop and start iCloud music a couple of times to test things so maybe that has to do with it?

Maybe should disable iCloud Music and then delete my music in Apple Music then re-add?

There's only I think three cloud icons that can appear next to songs in iTunes with iCloud Music Library.

1: Cloud with a down arrow to indicate something in the cloud you don't yet have on that computer.
2: Dotted outline cloud to indicate something wasn't a match when iCloud Music Library did its thing and require you to add to IML.
3: Cloud with an x inside to indicate it is not eligible to upload to IML. (Because it was 96 bitrate or lower and/or over 200mb in size.)

No cloud icon "should" mean it matched in IML and should show up on other devices that have IML enabled.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
There's only I think three cloud icons that can appear next to songs in iTunes with iCloud Music Library.

1: Cloud with a down arrow to indicate something in the cloud you don't yet have on that computer.
2: Dotted outline cloud to indicate something wasn't a match when iCloud Music Library did its thing and require you to add to IML.
3: Cloud with an x inside to indicate it is not eligible to upload to IML. (Because it was 96 bitrate or lower and/or over 200mb in size.)

No cloud icon "should" mean it matched in IML and should show up on other devices that have IML enabled.
Well

#1. The songs in question are all top 40 so there's no reason for there to be no matches. I have the dotted outline icons.
#2. In one top 40 album only 1 or 2 have dotted outline icons not the whole album. There's something broken.

How can I redo everything? Do what I mentioned above?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 9.51.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 9.51.48 PM.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 610

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
So actually I hardly have any iCloud icons for all these main stream albums. Take a look.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 9.55.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 9.55.47 PM.png
    344 KB · Views: 504

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well

#1. The songs in question are all top 40 so there's no reason for there to be no matches. I have the dotted outline icons.
#2. In one top 40 album only 1 or 2 have dotted outline icons not the whole album. There's something broken.

How can I redo everything? Do what I mentioned above?

The matching is in no way perfect, doesn't matter if it's top 3 or top 100,000. Make sure all tags are 100% and typed out exactly the same as they are in iTunes Store/Apple Music. (Artist name, album name, album artist and track name.) If you have the files for those songs on your computer and hey have dotted line (once you double check tags) right click and select "add to iCloud Music Library".

Dotted cloud means you need to upload those files.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
The matching is in no way perfect, doesn't matter if it's top 3 or top 100,000. Make sure all tags are 100% and typed out exactly the same as they are in iTunes Store/Apple Music. (Artist name, album name, album artist and track name.) If you have the files for those songs on your computer and hey have dotted line (once you double check tags) right click and select "add to iCloud Music Library".

Dotted cloud means you need to upload those files.
iTunes store is so dumb it can't figure from close tags what the song is? It needs exact tags? Even Shazam can figure out what a song is with zero data and tons of background noise.

EDIT: Hey I don't think your theory is correct because I right-clicked the song with dotted cloud and selected "show in iTunes store" and it showed the correct song.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.18.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.18.28 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 416
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.20.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 10.20.02 PM.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 466

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure why I don't see an "add to iCloud music library" in that screenshot of the options.

My experience has been dotten = needs a right click and add to IML because it never matched yet or it didn't and needs to be uploaded.

Official quote from what Apple says it means.
waiting.png
Waiting This icon appears when a song is in the process of being matched and hasn't been processed.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure why I don't see an "add to iCloud music library" in that screenshot of the options.

My experience has been dotten = needs a right click and add to IML because it never matched yet or it didn't and needs to be uploaded.

Official quote from what Apple says it means.
waiting.png
Waiting This icon appears when a song is in the process of being matched and hasn't been processed.
Ok well that is a little different than what you said. It actually means it's in the process of being matched.

In my case from that meaning I can tell that my stopping and starting of iCloud Music somehow broke everything. It was in the process of being matched and it never finished it seems.

I think I need to disable iCloud Music then enable it again.

Thanks

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok well that is a little different than what you said. It actually means it's in the process of being matched.

In my case from that meaning I can tell that my stopping and starting of iCloud Music somehow broke everything. It was in the process of being matched and it never finished it seems.

I think I need to disable iCloud Music then enable it again.

Thanks

Well it kinda means both even if it doesn't exactly say so. When you enable IML on say your phone that has music on it already locally. Anything it can't match you will see that icon next to in iTunes on your computer when you turn on IML. Requiring the upload.

Here is a quote from the support page about the "merge and replace" options given when you start first from an iDevice.

"*When you choose Merge, songs on your device that are in the Apple Music catalog become instantly available to access on your other devices. On iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, songs that we can’t match are shown on your other devices. But you won’t be able to play them on your other devices until you upload them from your Mac or PC with iTunes."

It gives the dotted cloud to let you know what wasn't matched from the iDevice.

But yeah you probably killed the process if you did it from your computer first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.