How do I format a WD HD to use on a Mac??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spoodinski, Jun 24, 2010.

1. spoodinski macrumors newbie

Hi :)

I have a 600GB HD that is currently configured to a Windows system. So it won't allow me to "modify" it on my mac - if I try to use it I can only use the files that have been put on through another Windows computer and can't put any more on or delete what's there. I have looked at all the help sites but I simply don't understand any of the vocab they're using!! I just want to be able to "modify" it on my Mac (ie. put/use/delete/transfer files ) - I don't know what partitions and journals are so please help!!

Can anyone please tell me how to change it so I can use put files, transfer and delete them on my HD at ease on just my mac. I don't need it for Windows.

Thanks!! :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's currently formatted as NTFS which Snow Leopard can read but not write. To enable reading, download and install NTFS-3G. If you don't need it with your PC anymore, you can just format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Disk Utility (deletes ALL files)

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Also when you wanna reformat it, insert your Mac OS X install disk start/restart the mac and press C on startup then chose Disk Utility and format it in the GUID partition for use with mac

4. ahm macrumors member

If it's an external drive, you can just do that from Disk Utilty in your operating system. No need to use the disk.

5. dravenrocks macrumors newbie

Similar problem.

I have a terrabyte external HD and i've formatted it for use with my Mac. I moved litterally all my pics,videos and music onto it,so i could play it through my 2 USB enabled DVD players.......neither of them can read my hard drive. It just shows empty.

I'm guessing this is something to do with it being formatted for Mac?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) is most likely not supported by those players, You need to have it formatted with FAT32 or maybe even NTFS, just take a look into the manuals of those players.

7. dravenrocks macrumors newbie

Cheers. Can i format it with FAT32 or NTFS from my Mac?

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Be aware of the fact that FAT32 is an immensely old and stupid file system that can only hold files of up to 4GB in size. A file with a size above that just won't copy over. Many newer media files are above that size. No luck for you then! And Mac OS X can't write natively to either NTFS or FATX, which do accept file sizes above 4GB. There are software solutions to make Mac OS X write to NTFS disks, though.