How do I format my computer when I can't boot into OSx?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamesybsu, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jamesybsu macrumors regular

Alright, earlier today my MBP running snow leopard began to flicker funny colors and lock up. Now when I restart to turn it on I get the grey screen of death. I have my original install disk and I have tried PRAM reset, pushing C with my disk in to run from CD, pressing alt and run to CD....all get grey screen of death.

I have everything backed up on time machine, so I am not worried about formatting my computer, which I guess is what I need to do from reading this guys answer of the apple forums. I just need to know how I can format my hard drive when I can't plug it in to another working mac. Thanks!

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Your best bet would be to hook it up to another Mac using Target Disk Mode and run Disk Utility.

3. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping that I would not have to connect to another computer as I don't have an extra one or fireware cable...any other suggestions

4. Scippy macrumors regular

Is your mac still under warranty?
    If so, you could take it to an Apple store and they could reinstall the OS for you; I think.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I doubt that this is an OS problem. It looks like there is something wrong with the hardware. You would be able to boot with the install DVD otherwise.

6. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting enough, this has not been a hardware issue. I did manage to format my computer earlier today and have installed leopard on my computer and it has worked great all day, no display issues at all.

I can't explain it, but something appears to be wrong with my graphics card and snow leopard.